Sunday, September 29, 2019

A Family Heirloom . . . and a Memory


Josie loves her Peter Rabbit quilt. I pulled it out of the linen closet where it's been waiting since her daddy outgrew it.


Full disclosure: the above is not my quilt or picture. I found it on Etsy when I wondered it there were more like mine. There are. It was, no doubt, a kit.



As quilts go, it's not exactly my cup of tea. But I love it for its story -- my great-aunt Tellie and Marion, her life-long companion made it for Josie's uncle--Ethan, my older son.


I have a vivid memory of the two sitting side by side in the sun room at my grandparents' house, cross-stitching away on either end. They made many projects together and were frequent ribbon winners at their county fair.

I wrote more fully about Tellie and Marion HERE. I'm so glad Josie is loving their quilt. And that their love is warming another generation.

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I guess that's the big thing about most quilts -- the memories attached to them.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Cindy White said...

Loved the quilt story and the tale of Telly and Marion. What treasures to have had in your life.

Thérèse said...

It must be such a feeling to be able to use such a heirloom. Past and future memories.

Nan Emanuel said...

Such memories... I've got my christening gown that had been worn by my older sister and brother before me, and it was handed down to me upon the birth of my first son. I married into a Jewish family (I've since converted to Judaism years later) and used it for both my sons' bris ceremonies. It doesn't matter what life cycle celebration a momento is attached to, it's the feelings and memories that exist within them.

I'm hoping to pass it along once again when my first grandchild arrives. Neither of my sons are married, so the wait continues. Thanks for sharing!