Sunday, September 15, 2019

Red Moon


Last night's moon made me think of a favorite poem by Garcia Lorca. . . sorry I can't manage the diacritical marks for the Spanish.

Cancion de Jinete
Song of the Rider

Cordoba. Lejana y sola.
Cordona. Far and alone.

Jaca negra, luna grande,
Black pony, big moon,

Y aceitunas en mi alforja.
and olives in my saddlebag.

Aunque sepa los caminos
Although I know the roads

yo nunca llegare a Cordoba.
I will never get to Cordoba.




Por el llano, por el viento,
Through the wind, across the plain,

jaca negra, luna roja.
black pony, red moon.

La muerte me esta mirando
Death is looking at me

desde las torres de Cordoba.
from the towers of Cordoba.

Ay que camino tan largo!
Oh, how long the road!

Ay me jaca valerosa!
Oh, my brave pony!

Ay, que la muerte me espera,
Oh, for death awaits me,

antes de llegar a Cordoba!
before I get to Cordoba!

Cordoba. Lejana y sola.
Cordoba. Far and alone.



3 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Very beautiful...moon and poem.

NCmountainwoman said...

I am in awe. Lovely photographs and I love the poem.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Such amazing photos of the moon. I did enjoy the poem! Have a wonderful day!