Sunday, September 8, 2019

How It Happens by W.S. Merwin



The sky said I am watching
to see what you
can make out of nothing
I was looking up and I said
I thought you
were supposed to be doing that
the sky said Many
are clinging to that
I am giving you a chance
I was looking up and I said
I am the only chance I have
then the sky did not answer
and here we are
with our names for the days
the vast days that do not listen to us



W. S. Merwin, like most poets, knew a thing or two. Here's a good quote of his, suitable for these times: 

We are asleep with compasses in our hands.


4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh what an image he wrote...and then the quote added the person asleep standing with a compass just about to drop out of his hand! Too sad, our opportunities are passing by.

Jime said...

Boy, this conjures up some frightening scenarios. At birth humans will be implanted with a GPS device that will tell us where to go and how to get there. Step by step. Both physically and mentally preordained robots with a smile on our faces.

Vicki Lane said...

Wow, Jime--that's a very different (but equally valid) take on this. I saw it as humans waiting for God to fix things and God telling them it was up to them.

Jime said...

Just my quirky mind at work