Friday, September 29, 2023

A Must Read

                                                                                        

Neil Gaiman or Patrick Tull (narrator of the Aubrey/Maturin series) read me to sleep most nights; Heather Cox Richardson kickstarts my mornings with her Letters from an American. 

Her calm rational prose generally makes sense of today's chaotic-verging-on-surreal political situation. With her intimate knowledge of our nation's history, Heather (as we readers of her daily newsletter call her) brings her deep understanding of our nation's past and the ongoing struggle to live up to the ideals of democracy to bear on the events of today--when that same democracy is under threat from authoritarianism.

Her latest book is here--I pre-ordered--and I look forward the understanding it will bring. And I urge all of you to read it. 

Heather is a national treasure--and you can find her on FB and at heathercoxrichardson@substack.com. 

Now, I have a book to read . . . I'm pretty sure it won't disappoint.

3 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Enjoy! Learn! Let Heather straighten out the meaning behind these actions that are so unbelievable.

Sandra Parshall said...

It's terrifying to hear respected political analysts saying and writing that the US is very far along the road to chaos and autocracy. Not all democracies survived. We have to fight for democracy to keep it. We can't go aback our lives and trust that all will be well.

Vagabonde said...

That does sound like a good book to read, indeed. I receive Heather Cox Richardson’s emails and enjoy them. I came back from Georgia last Sunday, feeling a bit happy. I counted the approximate numbers of books left there, and there are only 3,000. I started at 7 or 8,000 so I felt like I have accomplished something. But there is so much more to do…