Sunday, February 16, 2020

Sicilian Ricotta Pie


I made this as dessert for Valentine's Day. I really love it -- lighter and not as sweet as standard cheesecake, with a nice lemony flavor, it's a recipe I'll definitely make again.

I found the recipe online (credited to Nadia Fazio.)

              INGREDIENTS 

·      For the crust:
·      1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
·      1/3 cup granulated sugar
·      1 tsp baking powder
·      6 tbsp. vegetable shortening (I used Crisco)
·      2 eggs, lightly beaten

·      For the filling:
·      1 1/2 lbs ricotta, drained if very liquidy. I used a double cream ricotta--heavenly! No draining needed.
·      4 eggs
·      1/2 cup granulated sugar
·      grated zest of 1 lemon
·     dash of Tunisian 5 spice or cinnamon, plus more cinnamon for dusting

MAKE THE CRUST
·      

1.If using a food processor: In the bowl of the food processor combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Add the shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles a course meal. Add the eggs and mix on low speed until the eggs are incorporated. Pour the mixture on a clean, lightly floured surface. Press together until a dough is formed (do not over knead), shape into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. 

2. Alternately, if making the dough by hand, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter or use your fingers to mix the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. Make a well in the center and add the eggs. Shape into a dough as above.

MAKE THE FILLING

1.            Place all filling ingredients  in a large bowl and using a wooden spoon stir until well combined.
2.            To form the pie: Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a 9-inch pie plate. 
3.            Cut off 2/3 of the dough and reserve the remaining 1/3 for the top. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a 1/4 inch thickness. Dust your dough and work surface with more flour if it sticky. Carefully place the dough on the pie plate. 
4.            Pour in the ricotta mixture, then roll out the remaining piece of dough and place on the filling. Crimp the edges as desired. 
5.            Dust lightly with cinnamon and bake for 55 minutes until golden. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.

NOTES


Do make sure you chill your dough for at least 30 minutes (or even longer) before rolling. My dough was well chilled and it was still very fragile --perhaps I should have added more flour. I rolled it out but when I tried to transfer it to the pie pan, it fell into large pieces. I ended up just patting the dough into the pie pan. I wanted a lattice topping and managed to make some strips--which also fell apart.

 Perhaps one needs to be an Italian nona. Still, I cobbled together a ragged lattice top that looked pretty good when baked. And I was very happy with the way the crust tasted.

The pie is meant to be served cold and I made it the day before. The time in the fridge allows the lemon flavor to develop.

I had to talk myself out of eating a slice for breakfast--it's that good. 



2 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

How delightful and it sure sounds yummy. A few weeks ago I had a dutch apple pie...all to myself unfortunately. It took a long time of eating just a slice a day...sometimes for breakfast. But I really enjoy pie sometimes, and it was good to the last crumb!

Tara said...

This looks and sounds delicious - a great alternative to cheesecake. I would have gone ahead and had a piece for breakfast!!