Wednesday, February 26, 2020

I Voted


I love being able to vote early.  When I got there, there was one person voting and four folks in attendance. I was happy to see a printed ballot instead of the voting machines. And I'd done my due diligence and had a little list of the folks I'd decided to vote for in those weird races like Commissioner of Agriculture.

If only I'd been passionate in favor of one of the presidential contenders. Or if I'd had a real conviction that one was most likely to defeat the Current Impeached Occupant*.  But I don't, so I voted for Warren, whose wonkiness and spirit I've long admired.

I like some better than others; none are perfect.  I don't like Bloomberg at all--partly his past history but mainly because he seems an awful lot like the guy we've got in the White House now. And I hate to think that we are going to end up with a system where only billionaires need apply. (In the past week we've gotten three mailers from Bloomberg.) 

Thomas Friedman's op-ed in the New York Times made a proposal I really liked: What if, it said, whoever is the front runner promised to choose a running mate  from their rivals and appoint all the other candidates to Cabinet and other important posts? A team of rivals and a national unity ticket with something for everyone.

It sounds like a feel-good movie from earlier times. Swelling music, rippling flags, hands of all hues clasped in unity. I've been fantasizing about this for some while -- the candidates meeting privately and deciding to put egos aside and do what's best for the country. 

Wouldn't it be loverly? 







6 comments:

KarenB said...

My daughter (currently working in DC for a representative) said to me that it takes a big ego to run for anything and a huge ego to run for president. The belief that you are THE ONE is not something that very many people have. And that is actually a handicap in being a president. I don't know what the answer is but just because our system isn't perfect, doesn't mean we shouldn't participate.

Barbara Rogers said...

Me too...I mean I voted yesterday also. And my final choice was also Warren. It was a matter of who would represent ME the most...and she keeps voicing many things I think are right. I made the woman power decision away from the "who would most likely win question" to who would most likely represent me. Thus I made a bit of a selfish choice. But I only can stand watching half an hour of the debates at a time!

Anvilcloud said...

Americans have such a complicated political system. I hoe it works out ell this time around.

jennyfreckles said...

Wonderful - but unlikely, here as there. I'd vote for Warren too, if I could. Over here, the males are strutting their stuff again. Our Chancellor has just resigned due to a spat with No 10.

GPearson said...

Oh how I wish this would happen. Very slight differences but too insignificant to even discuss. This is the only way we will not have to endure another 4 years of "him". I'm truly afraid we would not survive.

NCmountainwoman said...

Interesting thought. We requested absentee ballots because my weakened immune system keeps me from being with strangers and I wanted to make certain I voted. I must admit I was not excited to select a Presidential candidate from that list. So many spoilers and so few realistic visions. I fear the election has already been taken over and we will continue another term of unbelievable actions. "Lord help us and save us."