Saturday, February 8, 2020

Cooking and Stuff with Josie



The box the clementines came in makes a good bed for my chimpanzee. It is too small for Snugglepuppy.


But I have an idea. 


                                      It can also be a table.


I make pretend oatmeal for my friends.


I serve it on their little table. They like it.

Then I have another idea.
 I ask Meema if we can make muffins. 
She says, of course we can. 
REAL muffins, I tell her.
Hmm, she says.
I will help, I say.


So I do. I stirred in the blueberries.


It looks really good but Meema says I must not taste till it's cooked because it could make me sick.

It is hard to wait but at last the muffins are cooked. Now I have to wait till they are cooled a little. 


Eating them is my favorite part. I am a good cook!

(And my favorite part was that we used the same little cooling rack that my grandmother used when I helped her bake stuff seventy-something years ago.)


5 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh how sweet (not muffins, but cooling rack) to have that intergenerational link between your grandmother and granddaughter. And yet so many things (think antique and thrift shops) continue to be used without us ever knowing who originally used them. They have stories to tell!

NCmountainwoman said...

Wonderful that Josie is learning to cook. She clearly loves it and it will serve her well. The cooling rack makes a great connection to the past.

Vagabonde said...

You are making great memories of cooking for Josie; then the baking rack reminding you of your own grandma – how cool is that! My own French grandma ? – well my memory is walking with her to the bakery and choosing a French pastry – she did not bake; my mother baked rarely as well – too many great pastry shops around us in Paris. I did not start baking until I came to San Francisco in the 60s.

Vicki Lane said...

If I had a French baker around the corner, I wouldn't bake either.

jennyfreckles said...

I don't bake either... and I don't (sadly) have a French baker handy. I have to follow a gluten-free diet, so that makes a baking life a touch more complex. I once attempted to make cookies with my granddaughter - then left them too long in the oven so they burnt. After that resounding Fail I never tried again. My daughter bakes with the girls, so they are getting the memories that way.