Wednesday, February 19, 2020

In Search of Meaning




On a day when the person in the White House is commuting the well-deserved sentences of a gaggle of white collar criminals, it seems reasonable to wonder about the Meaning of Justice, of Right and Wrong, of Good and Evil. 

Perhaps the young people who knocked at my door earlier, wanting to talk to me about the Bible felt they have the answers. 

But I'm pretty sure that they and their Bible-thumping ilk are part of the problem-- enablers of a corrupt regime and an evil man.

I was polite to them, nonetheless, telling them that I had read the Bible, as well as a great deal of history concerning it and the texts from which it derived and the various translations that had ensued and the errors therein.  Than you, but no thank you, I said.



I could have gone on at length but I was in the midst of house cleaning. Besides, it's useless to argue with members of a cult--be it religious or political.



And I have some more research to do on state  and local candidates so I can vote on Thursday--early voting here in NC.  Nationally, I'm torn between Warren and Klobuchar. Need to look into K's history a bit. I suspect I'm drawn to her because she's such a wholesome contrast to the Orange Embarrassment.

 I like Sanders' ideas but am concerned about his health. And I'm still of the opinion that he was the spoiler that gave Trump the win in 2016. Also, like Biden, he's another Old White Guy. If I knew who his VP choice might be . . . I like Mayor Pete but would prefer someone with more experience. 

Electability is the thing, of course. But trying to guess who would be the most electable is difficult. 

I hope it isn't Bloomberg. If it is, we might as well concede that the Presidency is for billionaires only.

But if it it is, I'll vote for him. Though I'd prefer the proverbial yellow dog . . .




3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You seem to be doing your due diligence.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've got my local candidates in my mind, but am also still waiting til tonight's debate to see how they present themselves - and their answers regarding latecommer Bloomberg.

KarenB said...

Bloomberg does have a lot of baggage from his NYC days. Things I like about Amy Klobuchar are her work ethic - she gets things DONE, and her ability to work across the aisle. I want progressive policies put into place, but I want them to stay in place. I don't want, in eight years, to have it all go away again. I also want someone who will be able to be there for eight years, and several of the candidates don't look like they would survive four years of that incredibly high stress job, much less eight.

But again, I've said I'll vote for a ham sandwich if that is who the democrats nominate.