Thursday, January 23, 2020

Baby Steps


A few weeks ago, after asking for recommendations from Facebook friends, I ordered a bar shampoo and refillable deodorant. It's all in pursuit of reducing the amount of single-use plastic in my life.  

I was totally impressed with the tidy, waste-free, recycled paper packaging--a sturdy little cardboard bag, just the right size for what it contained. What a concept! Amazon, who often uses huge boxes for very small objects, could learn something from these folks.

So, there was a bar of shampoo plus a soap dish for it and a refillable holder for the deodorant stick. I chose a citrus lavender scent for both and it smells heavenly!

I've been using both for several weeks now and am happy to report I really like them. The deodorant works and the shampoo bar quickly makes a great lather that leaves my hair squeaky clean. (I am using a little conditioner and will, when the big (plastic) bottle I have is gone, look into the bar conditioner.)

Using the bar shampoo has made me aware of how much traditional shampoo I've wasted -- squeezing out more than was needed. I suspect this bar will last a good bit longer than a bottle of shampoo. Which is good, as the bar stuff is a little pricey.

Just a baby step. Now I'm looking into bamboo toothbrushes and an alternative to plastic tubes of toothpaste. . .

7 comments:

Thérèse said...

Excellent! We switched a lot of things back to glass containers, the bar shampoo works great. The only thing I have to look for is the refillable deodorant stick... I am making my own and it's a little bit of a hassle to make and keep fresh.

Anvilcloud said...

Good for you for doing your bit.

KarenB said...

My daughter got me a set of those beeswax wraps for food for Christmas. I haven't had much opportunity to use them but did need to pack a lunch the other day. They work just fine. My grapes stayed nicely contained and my sandwich stayed wrapped. They did impart a slight honey smell to the bread, but otherwise were fine.

Sandra Parshall said...

I love the bar shampoos and conditioners. They're the same products, basically, without the water to create a need for a bottle. I recommend the keratin bar conditioner from Nature Skin Shop. Great moisturizing conditioner. Available in Amazon or through their website.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh fun, now I need to do some local shopping. I dare say some of the stores around here may have some products like these! Glad you shared about your choices.

Unknown said...

Hey, glad to hear about cutting down on waste. Everything today is so overdone in packaging. I buy Dr. Bronners Castile soap I large bottles and make my own hand soap body wash and shampoo. My favorite fragrance is citrus. We all need to do whatever we can to save the planet. I do worry about what kind of world my grandchildren's children will have.

Juliet said...

Thanks vicki, I'm all ready to take this step too and you have inspired me to act now.