Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cherokee


Yesterday I went to Cherokee and the Qualla Boundary for the Southeast Tribes Cultural Celebration. What a wonderful experience! It felt more like a family gathering than an event for tourists.

Of course, it all comes under research -- quite a few people have wanted Elizabeth to go back to Cherokee -- and quite a few would like to see more of that good-looking guy Driver Blackfox.

Here's a link to a web album with pictures from the stomp dancing and the stickball game. For more info on Cherokee, go here . And this is another good one.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Pat in east TN said...

Sounds like a neat event to attend ... all the years I've lived in this area and have never gone. Thanks for the pictures ... almost like being there.

Vicki Lane said...

I highly recommend a visit -- to the museum especially. But there's also Oconaluftee village -- a recreation of how the Cherokee lived a various times (it closes at the end of October) and Mingo Falls and the outdoor drama -- which I saw when I was at summer camp in the fifties and absolutely adored. Haven't seen in more recently but I understand it's been updated to be more historically accurate. Next on my to do's.