Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Kwik Kwiz, Kids!




Which of the following demonized entire groups of people by race and/or religion?

1. King Herod the Great:

     "Then Herod ...was exceeding wroth, and sent forth and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under.."

2. Horace Greeley, editor of The New York Tribune, opposing Chinese immigration:

"The Chinese are uncivilized, unclean, and filthy beyond all conception without any of the higher domestic or social relations; lustful and sensual in their dispositions; every female is a prostitute of the basest order."

                            

3. Adolf Hitler:

"Hence today I believe that I am fighting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: 'by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.'"



4. Col. John Milton Chivington (Sand Creek Massacre):

"Damn any man who sympathizes with Indians! I have come to kill Indians and believe it is right and honorable to use any means under God's heaven to kill Indians...Kill and scalp all, big and little; nits make lice."


5. Most Republican governors and presidential candidates:

"NO SYRIAN REFUGEES HERE!"



And the answer is . . . you're RIGHT! ALL OF THE ABOVE!

EXTRA CREDIT! How will history judge number five?

6 comments:

KarenB said...

Why are people so good at justifying what they want to do and so bad at seeing their actions for what they are? I was in a discussion last night with a family member who kept telling me, "But this is different!" No, no, it's really not.

Barbara Rogers said...

You can either live with a life based on fear, or one based on love. Can't very well make decisions each day without acknowledging which way you live. Sure we have fears. But I believe that love is the answer to hate, 'cause fear sure doesn't do a thing to it. But fears are real, and needs to be addressed with the same love. This is the root of courage. Just my opinion.

Jime said...

Live by the sword, die by the sword. We are hard at that principal. Oh for "Love thy neighbor ......."

Thérèse said...

They all have something in common.

Victoria said...

I don't know how history will judge number five; how it judged one through four depends on who you're speaking with today, I suppose. I'm just as sickened at the amount of prejudice, ignorance and hate expressed by most Republicans today as I am by one through four. And, just like Hitler, they all profess to be righteous followers of Jesus Christ. It makes my head spin, my stomach roil and my heart hurt.

Anvilcloud said...

I am disappointed that this is you. I thought I was on somebody else's page, and I was going to laud her for her progressive views. But I just expect this from you.😀