Wednesday, November 4, 2015

In the River Arts District


My writing classes this semester meet in the Asheville River Arts District -- a formerly industrial area now given over to art studios . . .

 Much of my second novel Art's Blood was set in one of the old buildings that was previously a tannery.

A railroad runs through it . . .


And the funky old buildings that now contain studios retain their funky old look.



It's a very nice use of an area that thirty some years ago was pretty much dying.

7 comments:

Victoria said...

I love it when old buildings can be used for something else, instead of being torn down. There's a place down in Redlands that did something similar, turning old brick buildings that used to be packing houses for citrus fruit into antique stores and studios.

Ms. A said...

How wonderful the area has new life! Would be nice to see more of that being done.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for the reminder, Vicki. I need to go trolling in the River Arts District for inspiration sometime soon.

Jime said...

Oh yeah, I went thru there 3 years ago. I can't tell you how much fun I had taking pictures and and talking to the artist. There are vast areas that need to be filled with more artist. There was a school there, but I can't remember what sort of school. What a wonderful funky place that is. When I went there I looked for some of the places that were in your book but could not put that together.

Frances said...

Dear Vicki, I would like to know more about this district. Perhaps our old pal google will have some references.

I liked your moody photographs of the building exteriors. xo

Friko said...

Good luck with the classes. I wish I could participate.

I love it when old buildings are given a new lease of life rather than being pulled down and replaced by some anonymous one-size-fits-all monstrosity.

Thérèse said...

Settings help a lot.