Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Nasturtiums



Nasturtiums are such rewarding flowers -- easy to grow, undemanding, and beautiful.

As soon as the danger of frost is past, soak the seeds saved from last year's crop (or from a package) for a few hours, then poke them into the dirt. You'll be rewarded, in time, with cascades of yellow, scarlet, orange, coral, cream, and apricot, as well as lush green foliage.

And for a bonus, both leaves and blossoms are edible - a little spicy, like water cress. And of course, nasturtiums are part of the crop on Elizabeth's Full Circle Farm.

". . . we got a call from Lidio -- their usual supplier had let them down and they have a huge wedding party tonight and their chef was pitching a fit because he didn't have fresh nasturtium petals for the salads. . . . Kyra and I picked all the nasturtium blossoms-- get this, the chef only wanted red ones no orange, no yellow." (Ben in Art's Blood)

I'm not that discriminating -- and I use the whole flower, not just the petals.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Beautiful flowers, and beautiful in the salad! Do the plants like full sun? I have allot of shady spots that I need to fill up, so am open to any ideas. I've never planted Nasturtiums, so I think maybe I'll give it a try next year.
Tammy

Vicki Lane said...

Nasturtiums pretty much need full sun.

Impatiens would be a good choice for your shady spots. I've never grown them from seed though it should be fairly easy -- I've always boughyt the sixpacks of bedding plants or, if I've wintered some over in the greenhouse or house, it's very easy to root lots of cuttings -- they put out roots quickly in water then I transplant them to little pots. They can't go into the ground till the last frost is over.

Impatiens do self-sow and if there's not a late frost do very well.

Pat in east TN said...

I am not familiar with nasturtiums, but having many full sun spots, I'm going to have to give them a try next year. Thanks for the info Vicki ... you are always in the know! :o)