Wednesday, June 14, 2023

More Native Plantings


This week Josie is doing a nature day camp at a nearby location, so I am taking her in the morning (9 am) and picking her up in the afternoon (2:45 pm.) As it happened, I also had a physical therapy appointment at 10 to work on my wonky right knee and impaired balance. So what to do with the morsel of time between 9 and 10?


The library was the obvious answer. Not for books but to take advantage of the morning light and the wonderful native plantings. Like the Milkweed above. (We have a lot of milkweed in our pastures but not always as accessible as this.)


I nelieve this yellow flower is Hypericum.

And I feel I should know the name of this purple beauty--I've had in my garden in the past. Is it Centaurea?(is it a native?)


Beautiful blooming yucca.


The Purple Coneflowers one of my favorites--but my picture is disappointing--trying to capture the butterfly -- a Spangled Fritillary?


And a lovely Flame Azalea (below.) We have a few wild ones that survive in our woods but the half dozen I've planted over the years have all perished, alas.

It was a pleasant way to spend a half an hour before submitting to the PT session and the very young woman who was quite inventive (and a little merciless) in finding ways to stretch and otherwise challenge my right leg.

I'll let Josie tell a bit about the camp in a later post.


 

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Native plantings. If I were to do it all over …

Sandra Parshall said...

Beautiful photos. I wish more people grew natives, but they can be so fussy about location, unlike hybrid plants that will grow under a variety of conditions. I love the idea of nature camp for kids and look forward to hearing what Josie has been learning.

I hope your knee responds to therapy.

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad you got to enjoy these plants, and pass along their beauty. Yes, any time spent in a library is quite nice. I noticed your posts on FB seem to always have an ad for a book following them (on my view anyway!) I laughed about that. Silly algory-thms!

Anonymous said...

Such an abundance of color and shapes this time of year, which has always been my favorite time in those beautiful old mountains. This is sort of next best to being there. Thank you.