Thursday, June 22, 2023

Drunk As a. . . Bee?


On the porch yesterday morning, I discovered a bumble bee struggling in a half-finished glass of Scotch from John's pre-dinner sup. I poured it out onto the railing, wondering what a drunken bee would look like.


He appeared . . . well, thoughtful and disinclined to make any sudden moves.


Actually, he seemed to be still sipping from the puddle he was in, so I shoved him to dry land where he continued his meditations. 

I know that bees have been known to get drunk on fermented fruit--I wonder how Scotch compares. We learned long ago that wine attracts yellow jackets--my sister-in-law inadvertently sipped one and was promptly stung on the lips, which swelled till she looked a bit like Daisy Duck. (Good times, huh, Fay?) 




Later in the day when I went to see how the bee was doing, it had evidently staggered off the railing and landed on the step below. It could crawl but wasn't making any attempt to fly.

 Probably just as well.

                                                


 

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

She bee drunk.

Marcia said...

So here's an unanswered question: why didn't John finish his drink?

Vicki Lane said...

John was probably called to dinner and thought he would return afterwards.

UPDATE: The be was gone this morning. I hope it flew away.

Sandra Parshall said...

I hope it survived. The world needs its bees.

Barbara Rogers said...

Poor little tyke...yes I'm sure she's got the Scottish blood (if they have any) to have such an attraction to Scotch! What do insects have inside them anyway?