Saturday, December 6, 2014

What, Already?


I know lots of folks put up their Christmas trees right after Thanksgiving -- even on Thanksgiving Day. I've never done that, preferring to wait, normally, till mid-December. But due to some scheduling conflicts with our popcorn stringers, this year we're putting the tree up a week early.

So I'm digging out the red and green quilts while John goes off to the Farmers' Market in search of our tree. I don't feel very Christmassy but here we go.
.
Time to put away the autumn leaf pillow covers in the living room and kitchen and break out the red and green . . .

John will put up the tree and add the lights this afternoon.

We'll string popcorn and cranberries on Sunday -- all the while lamenting the absence of long-time participants Cory (the guy,  not the cat) and Kasie who can't make the trip from California this year. 

I brought out the lights and began stringing them up the stairs. At first I didn't plug them in -- my internal clock saying that it was too early and I was just getting ready. . . there's still all that greenery to bring in and hang on the stair and put across the mantel . . . 

But then I gave in . . . and on a gray day that didn't feel like any holiday at all, those cheerful little lights made me smile -- and it began to look something like Christmas. 

12 comments:

Ms. A said...

Send me some Christmas spirit, will you? I haven't had any for years.

Thérèse said...

Christmas spirit at it's best!

Stella Jones said...

The decorations are going up earlier and earlier over here too Vicki. I am trying to hold off till next weekend if I can!
I always enjoy seeing your quilts come out again. It's so important to keep these traditions going, isn't it.

Unknown said...

My mother's Christmas tradition was day after Thanksgiving tree and decorating began, she so enjoyed season contagious to all.
Started yrs ago leaving mine up yr round 4 ft placed on dining room armchair in LR, did not like taking down.

NCmountainwoman said...

We're in the midst of decorating around here as well. Thank goodness we now take our time rather than rushing in one weekend like we did when we were working. I'm surprised the kittehs don't mess with the popcorn strings.

Frances said...

Vicki, I like the slow unveiling of Christmas decorations. So far, I've got some paperwhite bulbs on the go, some red and white cyclamen plants and an Advent calendar.

More will be added next week.

(Before I forget, I very much enjoyed the recent Miss Birdie post.)

xo

Jime said...

Really like your decorations, they give warmth throughout Christmas. I like Christmas for one simple reason. It takes our minds off of the tangled web we involve ourselves in internationally. We for a short time practise peace, giving, loving our neighbor as ourselves and we try to have good will to all mankind.

Darla said...

I like this: "on a gray day that didn't feel like any holiday at all, those cheerful little lights made me smile." There's something about twinkle lights, isn't there? Or fairy lights. :-) I can't recall much use of them in Maine except during the Christmas season, but here in Tucson they are used a lot -- year 'round. Maybe it's the landscape that makes people want that extra bit of cheeriness all the time? Hmm.

jennyfreckles said...

I try to leave my decorations until a bit later. My tiny house can look a bit cluttered. (Honestly, it doesn't seem that long since I took them down!)

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

It's nothing like Christmas lights to get you in the holiday mood. When I was growing up, my mother put up our tree on Thanksgiving afternoon and took is down late in the day on Christmas. I grew up in the retail business and the words "the holidays" and long hours of hard work were synonymous. It's nice to be back to normal after all these years.
Sam

Inger said...

When I grew up in Sweden, a long time ago, we put our tree up the day before Christmas Eve and kept it up for the 12 days of Christmas. Then there would be parties where kids would "plunder" the trees, have a lot of fun, get a lot of goodies, and finally throw the empty tree outside into the garden. I wonder if they have kept that tradition.

Barbara Rogers said...

I found when I changed from the grapevine and autumn leaves to the artificial greens door wreath, and then strung some white garland over the mailbox with a silk poinsettia to garnish it...suddenly my mood switched to Christmas. Nothing much else done yet though. Lights sound good!