Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Old Friends. . . .


Internet restored and I spent most of Monday decorating the tree. . .


Claui and Justin came up Sunday and we all worked on the popcorn chain and got it and the red bows in place (and drank sparkling wine which is perhaps why I wasn't keen to press on with the decorating in spite of their willingness to help.)


So yesterday I took my time and renewed my acquaintance with all these old friends -- the felt and rick rack ornaments Justin made in second or third grade . . .


The beaded ornaments Cory's (the guy not the cat) grandmother made and he is leaving with us till such time as he and Kasie do a tree of their own. (Cory and Kasie have been a part of our tree decorating for many years and they were sorely missed this year when they had to stay in California.)


The little wooden angel the homeroom mothers handed out in eighth grade -- (John got one too as we were in the same home room but his has disappeared.)

And some more recent acquisitions . . .


This fish's little fins flutter most appealingly -- I've tried to hang him where the kittehs won't notice him. . . 

Is this a lute? 


This retro beauty is the last of a set of ornaments that John sold to my parents back in 1959. He was a member of the Jr, Optimists and they were trying to raise money for something or other.

A card/ornament made by one of our great nephews -- with some help from his mother. . .

So many memories . . .


15 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful ornaments

Unknown said...

Beautiful ornaments

Unknown said...

Beautiful ornaments

Ms. A said...

The best trees are decorated with wonderful memories!

katy gilmore said...

I, too, love this walk down memory lane with the ornaments - I do it when we finally take it down as I put them away, when everyone is long gone.
and I really really like the idea of the Jr. Optomists club. We should have a Sr. Optomists club!

Thérèse said...

Joy in the house!

Victoria said...

Glad you got your Internet back. Your tree is beautiful!

Kath said...

Beautiful tree! And we're so glad your internet is back!

June said...

I do that, too, with my ornaments . . . stop and remember over each one. It makes for a long tree-decorating session.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a beautiful tree, full of memories, and inviting the creation of new ones!

NCmountainwoman said...

One of the best things about decorating the tree is remembering how proud the kids were when they brought home their ornaments. And the ornaments from my own childhood.

I'm a believer that wine and decorating always complement one another.

Jime said...

Beautiful tree beautiful memories.

Deanna said...

Beautiful tree. I love my old ornaments too.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Lovely decorations!!! Merry Christmas! Cathy

Brian Miller said...

wow. you got a big tree....love the beaded icicles...and our boys love decorating the tree because they like to hear the stories behind the ornaments...