Monday, July 20, 2015

Three Acts of Gratitude


I read an article HERE the other day, talking about five habits that lead to happiness. Now I'm generally a happy person but I was interested to see what this article suggested and I was particularly struck  by the first habit -- three acts of gratitude. 

The suggestion is that you spend two minutes every day for 21 days, identifying three new things to be grateful for.   Not catch-all categories like health or family but specific things, like the taste of this blueberry muffin this morning or the way the sun glints and highlights your daughter's hair.

The article says that by looking for new things to be grateful for every day, you are training your mind to look for the positive rather than the negative and that the end result of training yourself to this new pattern will be increased happiness.

Well, I thought, I'm already happy -- I don't need this.

And then I realized that my taking or choosing pictures for this blog every day is pretty much the same thing.  I am grateful for the certain slant of light on a weathered barn . . . the gleam of the sun between a boulder and a tree . . .


Bob enjoying the water on a hot day . . . even the muddy pawprints that follow seem like like an emblem of joy.

The spicy sweet fragrance of a Stargazer lily is a celebration in itself . . .


Throw in a Swallowtail butterfly foraging amongst those delicious little freckles and you've got three things in one . . .


Even when there are no flowers, there's always a marvel somewhere -- A frost medallion on a window . . .


And there are those kitchen miracles I love -- the fern-like pattern the Crisco makes on the spoon . . .


And the perfect beads forming in the stainless steel sink.

Now that so many folks carry phones with built in cameras, I'll be expecting an uptick in overall happiness any day now.

Three photos a day to happiness? Could be.


16 comments:

Ms. A said...

All your happy makes me pretty happy, too! I think I'd be even happier if I was taking my own photos.

Kath said...

Thank you. What I hear from you is -pay attention. See what is around us. I'll do that.

Stella Jones said...

It's the little things that make us the happiest sometimes. I shall take your advice. It sounds like a wonderful idea to me.
Your photos are always lovely Vicki.

Barbara Rogers said...

So happy to read your blog...my first appreciation for today!

NCmountainwoman said...

I'm a pretty happy person myself. And I often stop to admire the beauty of some little thing. From now on, I'll make it a point to remember them and reflect on them later in the day.

katy gilmore said...

Lovely. Just lovely.

Jime said...

Yes Vicki, Such a good idea to slow down and be thankful for all the beauty around us in big and small things. Right now I am happy from yesterday when we were playing golf in the rain. We don't have rain in July here, but we did. We got totally wet and what fun. Happy Happy.
Your photography makes me happy. Seeing your farm and animals make me smile. Thank you

L. D. said...

A butterfly sitting inside a stargazer is one million dollar shot.

Darla said...

That's so true! You have the 3 gratitudes a day thing down pat, I'd say. :-)

GPearson said...

Thank you Vicki. This reminder is beautiful.

Geri F. Brewster said...

Wonderful article and the pictures are beautiful. Want to be more intentional for the little things that can bring a delight and gratefulness in life. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

jennyfreckles said...

Oh, I so agree. I have become a lot happier since I developed a gratitude habit - and photography certainly helps me to notice those exquisite little details of the beauty in our world. I'm with you 100% on this one and eternally grateful that I have the physical, mental and logistical capacity to enjoy such things. Furthermore, by reading blogs, I get to see all the things my friends are happily noticing and photographing - and what a joy that is too. Your photos, particularly, transport me to such lovely places/moments that I'm never likely to see for real but nevertheless have come to love through your pictures and stories.

Vicki Lane said...

Thank you all so much for saying such nice things. Most of you have blogs that are part of my gratitudes.

Carol Crump Bryner said...

You make so many of us happy with your daily words and photo choices Vicki. And this post is especially beautiful.

Merisi said...

Wonderful! And you know I am so grateful about you capturing all those pictures and sharing them!

I promised myself to find every day one beautiful things here in Vienna and take a picture of it. I can't believe it was almost ten years ago! I had this little Sony digital camera, hardly knew how to operate it, but I faithfully took that picture every day. Still do. ;-)

Vicki Lane said...

And you continue to be an inspiration, dear Merisi!