Thursday, July 16, 2015

HIDDEN by Karen Olson


HIDDEN, Karen Olson’s latest novel, grabbed me with the first sentence, pulling me into a world of simple, natural beauty, intriguing me with complicated, ambiguous relationships, then sweeping me along with heart-pounding, ever-quickening action that held me captive till the last satisfying page.

Idyllic Block Island, just off the coast of Rhode Island, is Nicole Jones’s sanctuary – until it becomes her prison. Why has Nicole isolated herself here? Why doesn’t she have a bank account, a driver’s license, a computer – especially a computer? The answer, of course, lies in Nicole’s past, which Olson reveals in tantalizing snippets as the story unfolds and that past returns to threaten Nicole’s very existence.

When I began the book, I was at once reminded of the classic suspense of Daphne Du Maurier and Mary Stewart as I relaxed into the beautiful setting, the female protagonist with a secret, the romantic interest who may or may not be what he seems. But as the plot began to thicken and the pace to quicken, I was turning pages faster and visualizing the cinematic possibilities of the story. Now it was John Grisham or Gillian Flynn who came to mind.

It's a wonderful read --- a twisting, breath-taking ride of a novel! And I'm delighted to learn that a sequel is in the works. Nicole has more to tell us.


HIDDEN is available for pre-order HERE on Amazon (publishes in October.)  It publishes in the UK, however, on July 31 and  and is available early from amazonUK. 

DISCLAIMER: I requested and received a review copy of this book from the publisher. Thus the somewhat formal review. But you should know I wouldn't review it if I didn't like it.

8 comments:

Ms. A said...

Love your new print type, much easier on my eyes!

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great review...I'll be looking for it...when I again have time to read. Now I am lucky to have 15 min. before I sleep.

Clea Simon said...

I was so looking forward to this book anyway -reading this I am breathless.

Jime said...

Well Vicki, If HIDDEN is anything like your novels then I'm for it. Will wait on Amazon to get it. Thanks so much

Frances said...

Vicki, thank you for your introduction to Karen Olson's novels.

As I had hoped, my wonderful library does have some of her prior books on the shelves in the stacks. I'll make a note to self to check some out and see what I think. i expect that I will enjoy them, and then...will request that the library purchase Hidden.

Isn't it grand trading book recommendations? xo

Vicki Lane said...

Frances -- this book marks a departure for her. Her first two were mysteries with a reporter as protagonist. I read and enjoyed both of them. Then there are four cozy-type mysteries set in a tattoo shop -- which I haven't read, not being a big fan of cozies. This one is psychological suspense -- a different beast altogether.

NCmountainwoman said...

I'm glad it isn't coming out soon. I can't seem to catch up on my "to-be-read" pile.

jennyfreckles said...

This sounds just my type of book. I'll look out for it.