Thursday, September 3, 2009

Weeding



Yesterday morning I worked to restore some kind of order to my box garden. (Beds in boxes, not, alas, bordered by boxwood -- the uber-traditional box garden. Someday, in another life, maybe I'll have one of those. And a dour Scots gardener with a staff to maintain it.)

It's been a fine summer with adequate rain for once and the weeds have prospered. No matter. I like weeding by hand -- it puts you down and close up with nature. It's a quiet, contemplative way to spend a morning -- and a good time to take a camera along.

Follow this link for pictures from my morning. And, for those of you who were reading my blog a year ago, no, there weren't any copperheads this time.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

We have so much weeding to be done!
I don't mind when it's cool weather. Your place looks really good! :) Oh, I love the froggy!

Pat in east TN said...

Ooooh the weeds, but I am like you in that it is a job that I don't really mind. Isn't it interesting the critters one finds when out and about doing such chores and the feeling of accomplishment when you're done. I'm headed out again today to weed around all my berries and then I should be in pretty good shape.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

The summer rains gave us a lot of weeds also so I really need to be doing exactly what you're up to right now.
Sam

Eliane Zimmermann said...

I wanted to leave a comment this morning but then again I couldn't even open your comment box as the line was too slow again! so you came first to my page.
I don't like weeding too much as I know so many healing herbs among the 'weeds' that I always get a bad conscience when I want to get rid of them (good excuse not to weed too much...).

Vicki Lane said...

I will still be weeding when the first freeze comes, there's so much of it to be done.

Thanks to all of you for dropping by!

(I took a break from all that weeding to go see Julie and Julia with a friend -- Loved it all! Highly recommended!)

Victoria said...

I like weeding by hand, too. We don't have Copperheads out here, we have Rattlesnakes; both equally awful, I think.

I'm going on Saturday with a friend to see "Julie and Julia." After your recommendation I'm anticipating it even more!

Reader Wil said...

Weeding is a daily job! I have tiles in both the front yard and the back one, but I keep pulling out the grass between tiles.
Thanks for sharing your garden with us!!

Vicki Lane said...

Hi, Victoria, There are rattlesnakes here too though copperheads are far more common, at least at our place. I think that rattlers are more dangerous -- not many people die from copperheads, though, from what I'm told, you may wish you had.

I'll bet you enjoy the movie! I'll be posting more about it Saturday.

Reader Wil, Nature is persistent, isn't she?