Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumnal Equinox 2009

The weather seems unlikely to cooperate so I'm putting up a picture of last year's equinoctial sunrise. Our house faces due east and the sun is now in the center of our horizon. By the winter solstice it will have crept far to the south and be lost behind a ridge for much of the day.

The equinox falls on the 22nd this year. I had thought that solstices and equinoxes were always on the 21st but evidently not. Here's a nifty website that explains all this for those who've ever wanted to know about the Precession of the Equinoxes. (I adore that phrase -- I think I first encountered it in Kipling's Just So Stories.)

But 21st or 22nd, the wheel of the year is turning. I look at the purple sage spilling over the rock wall and the thought of Thanksgiving turkey is in my mind. Not so far away.



Coleous captures the last of the summer sunlight before being hustled into the greenhouse for protection from coming cold weather.

And pumpkins from the garden are bright markers along our entry path -- lighting up another dreary day.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Martin said...

Yes, autumn is in the air Vicki. I just love the sense of it at either end of these shortening days.

Pat in east TN said...

It is hard to believe that we are this far along in the year already ... time seems to fly by SO quickly anymore!

Your pictures are beautiful, but the Coleous is outstanding! WOW!!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Looks like you are ready for fall. Your gardens are lovely.
Its rained for what seems like a week here. As Ray Charles said, "it seems like it's raining all over the world." A perfect description of our weekend.
Sam

Vicki Lane said...

Time is rushing on -- turn around and it'll be Thanksgiving then Christmas and Spring again. Aye,law!

And, as the old folks say, 'they're givin' rain for all week.'

Christie Russell said...

Vicki, I love your blog today...I have always loved fall, with Thanksgiving right around the corner...your pics are gorgeous.

How is Ed. E. Cat doing these days? And Suzy Hutchins?

Pepper Cory said...

Your new camera's working just fine. I open your blog every morning. Thanks Vicki for starting my day.

Vicki Lane said...

Thank you, Christie! At this moment Miss Susie Hutchins is sitting on my ironing board washing her paws and Ed E. Cat is outside birdwatching. The send their regards.

Hey, Pepper -- so do I go better with coffee or tea? At least I'm generally more cheerful than the morning news.

Unknown said...

Hi Vicki - I have been watching the water levels on the French Broad -
http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=gsp&gage=marn7&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6&type=0

Looks like it stayed .9 below flood stage. I'd love to see some pics of the river on your blog! Stay dry! I love equinoctial - great word - as always from you - ~Liz P.S. Happy Fall at 418pm CST

Vicki Lane said...

Hey, Liz, the sun is actually shining at the moment and there's not been any rain today. Keeping my fingers crossed for Marshall.

Will try for some pictures when I go in to town tomorrow.

Victoria said...

I love that picture of the pumpkins beside your path, very pretty. Happy first day of Autumn!

Vicki Lane said...

Happy Autumn, Victoria -- any rain out your way yet?

Victoria said...

No, not yet. It's pretty scary. An arsonist started a fire at the bottom of the canyon that feeds right up into the valley that we live in. Thank goodness our firefighters (God/dess bless them) managed to put it out quickly! I've got my car packed so if we need to leave quickly I just have to grab my cats. I sure wish we could get some of the rain y'all are being drenched with there!

Vicki Lane said...

And I know Atlanta would love to send you theirs. Stay safe -- I work on willing the clouds your way.