Friday, September 11, 2009

The Accidental Colllector

In my post on "Julie and Julia," I mentioned that I began my married/cooking life with family recipes as well as a few good cook books. As the years have gone by, I've acquired many, many more, whether by inheritance, gift, or considered purchase. You'd almost call it a collection.



Along with my grandmother's well-worn grater and cooling rack, I inherited a slew of cookbooks --her personal recipe collection, with many familiar favorites in her own spiky handwriting, is my sentimental favorite.






But these two, from the Twenties, are quite charming.

The Old South Cook Book, from 'the best cooks in Montgomery,' purports to "give a pretty accurate idea of the eating enjoyed in 'the good old days before the war.'" (I have a real feeling they're not talking about WWI.)

Corn fritters, tea biscuits, Lady Baltimore cake, Salt Rising bread, Sally Lunn, beaten biscuit . . . and the Tested Recipes follow much the same pattern.

but the ads are the best part. . .








































Posted by Picasa

I'll be off in Burnsville at the Carolina Mountains Literary Festival today and tomorrow -- probably without Internet so I won't be responding to comments -- I'll catch up on Sunday!


11 comments:

Stella Jones said...

I love those old cookbooks and I really enjoyed looking at yours. I have one of my own, which I have been writing in for many years and I have some cookery cards from Larry's dad in Knoxville. He showed me how to make cornbread, which was something I had never heard of being English. I showed him how to make a cheese quiche, English style and we had lots of fun learning from each other. Thanks for showing us yours. We still all love Carnation milk, don't we!
Blessings, Star

Pat in east TN said...

I love cookbooks, but have filtered out what I had on hand to those few well used ones. I love getting recipes from the different blogs I go on and from friends .. those seem to be the best.

Have a good time in Burnsville!

Vicki Lane said...

Fun to think of your kitchen, Star, with Toad-in--the-Hole side by side with Tennessee cornbread!

Me too. Pat -- I've gotten lots of good recipes from blogs!

Now I need to get on my way to Burnsville!

Carol Murdock said...

I'm a cookbook freak, when you love books like I do, you collect all kinds! Have a fun time in Burnsville!!

Tess Kincaid said...

Your grandmothers cooking journal is such a treasure, Vicki. Loved the old ads, especially the Piggly Wiggly. That name always makes me giggle.

Tammy said...

I've got a ton of old cookbooks too--most of them inherited from friends, and family. I have one from my Grandma Powell, that is very similar to your Grandma's. While the cover on yours is green, mine is black but the style is almost indentical. Of course the most priceless thing is the handwritten recipes, and notes. Thanks for sharing and have a great trip!
Tammy

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

What treasures!!!!

Celeste Maia said...

What a collection of old cookbooks you have. You must cherish the one with your mother's handwriting. How many meals were cooked with those recipes? Did the food make the people happy? Food usually makes me happy, especially when it is cooked with love and fresh ingredients.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

How fun. I saw a salt rising bread recipe in there. I haven't thought of it in years. A very unusual bread and (I think) an acquired taste.

Enjoy Burnsville and Mt. Mitchell. We have friends with a summer home (really an estate that looks like a fairy-tale castle) there. Lovely area.
Sam

Victoria said...

Those old cookbooks are wonderful! I have some recipe cards written by my Mama (or "receipts" as she called them)and several of her cookbooks with her notes about the recipe written in the margin. I absolutely treasure them.

Have a good trip to Burnsville and Mt. Mitchell.

Vicki Lane said...

Burnsville was great, Carol-- I'll post about it Monday.

My favorite of the old ads, Willow, is the one about have your kid gloves cleaned. Ah, the days when a lady always wore gloves -- thank heavens they're gone!

Tammy -- How neat that your grandmother had a similar cook book -- and yes, what treasures they are, Kaye!

Celeste -- the food made ME very happy -- my grandmother's kitchen was a wonderful place.

Sam -- I haven't had any salt-rising bread in quite a while. A friend brought me some a few years ago and I remember enjoying it -- an almost cheesy taste -- unusual indeed!

Victoria -- A friend of mine has one of her grandmother's handwritten recipes framed and hanging in a place of honor in her kitchen -- I keep meaning to do that too.