Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Weed or Flower?



Usually the cows wait till John is at least a hundred miles away to make an escape but this morning they jumped the gun. We're leaving for Baltimore and the Bouchercon mystery convention tomorrow, girls.

John and Justin put them back where they belong, with Otis supervising from a distance.



On my way back to the house, I was thinking how fortunate we are to have so many pretty weeds. This pink smartweed even calls itself a weed, not a wildflower, but if it were in a nursery catalogue as a 'vigorous ground cover with delicate pink flower spears in profusion,' I'd probably order it.




Goldenrod is gorgeous. The drawback is its propensity to spread like wildfire. (I've been told that it's ragweed, blooming at the same time that is the bane of folks with allergies - not goldenrod.)
Some clever horticulturist has developed a non-invasive type for the garden. I believe that in the UK it's marketed under its Latin name -- solidago.

The wild asters or Michaelmas daisies form lavender and white clouds in unexpected places. Their tame cousins are showier but these are free, bless their little hearts.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Susan M. Bell said...

To me, most of the prettiest flowers are weeds. I saw a man on HGTV a while back who designed his entire garden with weeds. It was beautiful. (Not to mention cheap.)

Vicki Lane said...

Queen Anne's Lace and Ironweed and Joe Pye Weed are a few more that I love having around.