Monday, December 23, 2019

Christmas Riddles


Much of yesterday was taken up with wrapping presents and (this is the hard part) coming up with riddling clues as to what might be inside the package. 

I found myself having to turn to Mr. Google for things like the names of the Spice Girls (Scary, Sporty, Posh, Baby, and Ginger) and then whether of not Cossacks were/are from Kazakhstan. (They're not.) 

And there's the inevitable trying to find a new set of clues for yet another Glen Something single malt.

It's a tradition that most of us love-- the handing out of the presents one at a time; the reading of the clue, everyone trying to figure it out, sometimes with hints from the writer of the clue. The presents are usually pretty mundane and rarely surprises, but the riddle game makes more of less.

Josie will not be required to play this year. But I have a feeling she'll soon be good at it. Her verbal skills are growing apace.

Recently a friend of mine, in talking to Josie, asked her something like what her grandfather was called and Josie said, "Grumpy; John, to you."




3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

My goodness, that is yet another layer to Christmas preparations, but I'm sure it adds interest to the day.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a hoot. I'd love to be a little ornament (star maybe) on your tree to listen to the fun you all have figuring out the riddles!

Tara said...

Ha! Grumpy!

I like your riddle/present tradition. Something I might try in future....