Saturday, September 16, 2017

Time to Plant the Pansies


With the autumnal equinox fast approaching, one of my favorite rituals kicks in -- planting pansies beneath the crepe myrtles in our entryway.


Such obliging little flowers! If the deer or rabbits don't get them, they'll bloom continuously, even under snow, till next summer's hot weather.


The bed I'm putting them in already has pink Japanese anemones and Autumn Joy Sedum abloom.


As well as some saffron crocus.


There's a pleasant job done! Now to plunk a few pansies into the planters on the deck Those shy little spots of purple will brighten the coming months amazingly.


7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You can't get much prettier than a pansy. We mainly consider them to be spring plants up thisaway.

Thérèse said...

Marvelous colors and lights...

Barbara Rogers said...

Though many other colors of flowers perk up a garden, I am drawn to the purple ones for some reason. Their depth brings joyful and soothing feelings to me.

Vicki Lane said...

I feel the same way, Barb. I always choose purple or lavender. To me they look like a pool of still water beneath the trees.

Bernie said...

I learn something new every time I read your post! Who knew to plant pansies in the Fall? xx

L. D. said...

They sell a lot of pansies around here in the fall as they do survive the cold longer than most flowers. It is nice to see your blooms right now.

jennyfreckles said...

You're encouraging me to plant some pansies now. I didn't bother with my containers this summer as it was so dry early on and I knew I'd never keep up with the watering. But a bit of colour through the winter would be nice.