Friday, October 6, 2023

How Low It Is!

                                                                       


Lack of rain has the river as low as I've ever seen it. The sandy bottom is actually exposed on the downstream side of some of the big rocks.


No fall color yet either--the mountainsides are dusty and tarnished looking.

Still, this isn't unusual for this time of year--last year on October 11, I was writing about how low the river was and telling the tale of how John Goingsnake escaped the Trail of Tears. HERE.


4 comments:

Marcia said...

I had to re read your post from last year because I didn't remember it. Wouldn't you know I commented on it last year! It's still a good story though Barbara Rogers has been sharing about Cherokee history and your story doesn't quite match now to what she has related about the Trail of tears. Or does it?

I'll be on the look out for the bulbs. I hope they like a colder climate.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes we are in need of rain in Western North Carolina. I'll send Marcia my understanding of how Mr. Thomas bought land then deeded it to the Cherokee who didn't have to go on the Trail of Tears, but some still hid in the mountains.

Sandra Parshall said...

We keep going from dry to drowned. After a week of welcome sun, which followed the deluge from the cyclone, we are supposed to get some rain Sunday. Very little color in the leaves, but our hollies and three dogwoods have lots of berries.

Anvilcloud said...

We're having some rain here now, but it has been a cry month or so.