Friday, October 13, 2023

The Monkey Dilemma


Scrolling through Facebook recently, I came across a video of an Asian woman feeding two little monkeys, both in diapers and fancy little outfits. While I've never been a particular fan of monkeys (once my family babysat a monkey for a week or so and he was pretty unpleasant), something about this video caught my attention and I watched it all the way through.

The little monkeys were very calm and obedient, almost too much so. And it was fascinating to see how human they were. Both sucked their thumbs while they were waiting for the food, which their (self-described 'mom') took her time preparing.

In the week or so that followed, I watched a few more--'Mom' bathing the monkeys, more feeding, etc. Then suddenly, almost every other post in my FB feed was monkeys--different ones, some with cute human "sister," some riding on the back of a motor scooter, going shopping, sleeping . . .

And the monkeys were getting younger and younger; newborn, even.

Wait a minute! I thought. Where are these babies coming from? Why aren't they with their real mothers?

I had asked this question in the comments early on but had never received an answer. (There were thousands of comments, attesting to the popularity of these monkeyshines.)

Finally, I realized that the best thing for me to do was to block all monkey-related feeds, rather than continue to somehow support this apparent exploitation of baby monkeys.

Monkey off my back.




  


 

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Monkeyshines: now there's a word from my past that mother would use. I am not sure if I have heard anyone else use it -- until now, although I didn't exactly hear it.

Vicki Lane said...

Our older neighbors used to say (of someone who was acting up) "He sure cut a shine."

Marcia said...

Like AC above I haven't heard that word in a long long time.

Barbara Rogers said...

As all that we say or look at on line is recorded for the ad people (not real people of course) I am annoyed by looking at a site to see what it's all about, then getting lots of FB ads, and even spam emails about them. My son who doesn't do FB, said he likes how there are suggestions when he's trying to buy something somewhere on line...he looks up a pair of boots, and there a many more ads coming his way (I didn't ask which program)...and he likes that he can see others to choose from. Funny, I never thought of it that way! Seems definitely related to monkeyshines!

Sandra Parshall said...

Monkeys are not pets! And they're not servants either. Some monkeys have been trained to take care of disabled humans, even hand-feeding them. I have heard stories of these animals being horribly abused if they fail to do their work properly. This should be illegal. I couldn't watch the videos you describe. They would enrage me.