Wednesday, August 21, 2019

The Game's Afoot!


My editor has sent me a production schedule for the Civil War book and I've been in touch with her and with the Editor-in-Chief about the title. As some of you may remember, my original idea was to call it THIS WAS THE WAY OF IT.  That was, at least, my working title. Eventually it got trimmed to THE WAY OF IT, which is what it was when I signed with Regal House. 


The editor didn't quite like it and it became WITHIN MY MEMORY YET.  Then I noticed that somewhere on line, Regal House had referred to my forthcoming book as MEMORY LINGERS--which I don't like at all. I said so and suggested, if they preferred a shorter title, IN MEMORY YET.

Nope, the head editor didn't like that, feeling that something more powerful was needed, a kind of visceral punch to reflect the horrors of the story.

Now I'd been giving some thought to the cover--part of the production schedule invites me to send them pictures of book covers I admire so that the cover designers have some idea of my aesthetic idiom. And in thinking about covers, I imagined a cover with crows against a winter background--a reference to what I think is one of the most viscerally powerful scenes of the book.

And I thought of a title. A strong, in-your-face title. Maybe too strong, I thought but I suggested it and they like it. They really liked it.

At the moment, I think it's The One. But, allowing for second thoughts, etc., I'm not going to say what it is. Not till I have a strong commitment and a go ahead from the editors.

But there are crows.


4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful to hear the production is coming along...crows are great on the cover...and I shall be patient till you announce the new title!

NCmountainwoman said...

Hooray!!! I can't wait to read (insert title here). I love all the crow photographs but then I am very fond of crows. Hope you get your say on the title.

Anvilcloud said...

I think the game is aclaw or maybe acaw.

Nan Emanuel said...

Good news! Definitely looking forward to seeing and reading this powerful story. Thanks for the update.