Monday, August 26, 2019

Country Living

e

My plantings above this rock wall have gotten weedier and weedier ever since I discovered a copperhead amidst them.  It had been weeks since we last saw it and I'd begun to hope that it had died of gunshot wounds after disappearing into a crevice.

Encouraged by this hope and invigorated by the cooler weather, I took my hoe and went to attack the weeds. My procedure was to poke around with the hoe in the area I planned to weed, keeping an eye out for any slithery movement and then, after seeing none, to plunge in and pull weeds.

After about a half an hour of cautious weeding, I was nearing the area where the copperhead was last seen. Poke, poke--SONOFAGUN!!!-- there it was, heading for the same place it disappeared last time.

Reader, I took my hoe and hacked the poor critter to death, kinda like that woman in the BC comics. I really felt bad about it--but that's just too close to the house for comfort.


Of course, there may be more. Cautious weeding will continue.


5 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my, how exciting...you are a brave woman who fought a deadly predator. Glad that you were the one who survived. Yes to taking an aggressive stance to protect your loved ones.

KarenB said...

I feel like I should send you a Wonder Woman card or something!

That is definitely too close to the house, especially with Josie!

NCmountainwoman said...

I'm with you. Live and let live, but not that close to the house. I need to do some planting above our rock walls. It looks lovely.

Share my Garden said...

Yikes - you are a whole lot braver than me. We have a large grass snake living in the compost heap and although I know it is harmless I've not added to the compost since discovering it!

Sally in Blk Mtn said...

Good on ya! Black snakes, yes; copperheads, NO!
Have a friend who nearly died when one caught her on the back of her hand - all for pulling a weed.