Tuesday, August 13, 2019

A Year Ago


I've been trying to reduce the size of my photo files -- delete all the duplicates and near duplicates and otherwise not-worth-saving stuff. I'm working backwards and have gone as far as August of last year. I've deleted around 2,ooo pictures, realizing that possibly one can have too many pictures of sunflowers/daylilies/blacksnakes/snow/autumn leaves/sunrises, tomatoes, and, yes, even Josie -- who accounts for much of my picture taking these days.


It was good to be reminded of what our view was before the tree were cut. And amazing that we let it go on that way so long -- kinda like the frog in the slowly warming pot who's cooked before he realizes what's happening.  (It just occurred to me--that analogy is uncomfortably like the state of our nation and, more importantly, of our environment today--but I digress.) 




And how our girl has grown! She was a real toddler and her hair was straight. Obviously, she already had attitude.

I'll continue this voyage of attrition over the coming weeks. And I'll try to to a better job of editing and deleting from now on!





6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

These days, I try to do better about deleting recent photos that I can't see a future for, but I shall have to invest in new hard drives soon regardless.

Vicki Lane said...

Me too, AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

I don't use the external hard drive for anything much but old photos...scanned from old family albums. I maybe need to have a backup, but often just put them on blogs...so thats perhaps a backup, as long as blogger exists.

Thérèse said...

It's called Chore!

Sandra Parshall said...

You can store all your photos on Google Photo for free. GP arranges them by the dates they were taken, and you can go further by creating albums and collections.

Jime said...

I got a new regimen. When I download my cards into Lightroom I do not back them up immediately. (Lightroom backs up all of them but xing out removes them from the hard drive) I first do thru them and x out the ones I know are not worthy of keeping. Before I close Lightroom I back up the keepers on an external hard drive. It seems to reduce the keepers by at least 1/2.