Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Wonder of Occupational Therapy


We were lucky enough to get the rest of the garden planted before the rains set in -- corn and squash and beans and cukes sown, lettuce thinned, tomatoes set out, along with the pumpkin seedlings I'd been babying along on the porch. And I sowed some zinnias and dill and cilantro and set out basil, tomatillo plant, and four artichokes.  The kale and broccoli and collards have been in place for weeks and the potatoes John planted are showing . . .


The best thing about all the planting was how much easier it was than this time last year. Last year I could manage only about a half an hour before I felt the need to go inside and live down. This year, while I'm still pretty slow, I can work (slowly, to be sure) most of the morning and still feel like coming back down to the garden in the afternoon.

I think the credit must go to my Occupational Therapist, aka Josie. All the getting up and down, picking her up, and chasing after her has increased my stamina  amazingly.


4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

So she already has one career to her credit! Glad to see your gardens in such beautiful shape.

Juliet said...

What great progress you have made. It must be so encouraging to be able to garden again.

Anvilcloud said...

I am currently stiff and sore from a little bit of gardening on Monday.

katy gilmore said...

I loved this little tale -- not tuckered out by chasing a grandchild but rewarded with stamina! And your gardens look beautifully ready to grow and grow - like Josie!