Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Spring Cleaning as OT


How much do I hate dealing with tax stuff? Enough so that rather than finish up yesterday, I got into Spring cleaning. I began in a bedroom -- vacuuming under and behind things, taking all the books out of a bookshelf to vacuum them and clean the shelves too, culling some of the books of the 'I'll never read/finish/re-read this one' variety (not a large stack but I've got about nine more book shelves to go  -- they're in almost every room.)

 
I even got into a bathroom cabinet, full of those little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and various lotions that I couldn't resist bringing home from hotel stays. Most of them were five to ten years old, half used and not very appealing so I bravely tossed them, along with some patchouli essential oil (what was I thinking when I bought that?)

It's a start  -- there are drawers to sort through and windows to wash before I even finish this one room. But the stretching and bending and shoving is all good therapy. 

And getting rid of stuff is good for the soul.  I'm trying to move past the 'this might come in handy someday' mindset to the 'does this bring me joy?' question. Or, failing that, 'one more thing the kids won't have to deal with when I'm gone.'



7 comments:

KarenB said...

This might come in useful some day.... Someone could get good use out of this.... But it's still in good shape.... This is what goes through my head when trying to pare down the Stuff. I do much prefer giving things a new home if possible, but just to throw things away! That is hard. Necessary but hard.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, I have boxes for the library and for the thrift store. But there's an embarrassing amount of stuff no one would want.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay to you! I did a hard one the other day...in the storage closet are still boxes which moved with me a year and a half ago. I opened one...and tossed out something, and kept another something. Well, it was a sculpture. But oh, I have so many things (many are clay) that need to be tossed. Yep, a hard thing to let go of, at least for me. But it is needed.

jennyfreckles said...

Well done! I've started on this too and it is surprisingly cathartic, getting rid of unwanted or unused stuff. I find the actual getting started the hardest bit. Once started, it gets rather more fun. I discovered a tendency to hoard shoeboxes but then found they fit neatly inside my chest of drawers and keep my socks, gloves and other little things organised.

Darla said...

You are truly inspirational! I've never been a very active person (always in my head, which is why having dogs that needed walking has saved my life, I'm sure), so I have to *force* myself to do any kind of PT or OT or housework, etc. I'm trying to stay at it, though! LOL This past weekend, I finally got a set of bookshelves alphabetized (they've been a mess since the accident coincided with our floors being tiled and all the furniture had to be moved), but your kind of spring cleaning is impressive!

katy gilmore said...

One more thing the kids won't have to deal with - that's a motivator!

Anvilcloud said...

Such an ordeal, but good on ya.