Friday, March 3, 2017

Making Room for Baby


Some years ago I told my daughter-in-law Claui that if they ever did have a baby, I would do day care. And now it looks as if it will come to pass in a few months. The little girl is due in May and Claui will have some maternity leave but sooner or later, I'll be designated baby sitter.


John and I have signed up for an evening class at the hospital for infant caregivers  -- it's been almost forty years since I took care of a baby and I know things have changed -- sleeping face up or face down? Baby powder, yes or no? Asafoetida bag around the neck? (Just kidding.)



I know that paregoric is no longer used to calm a fractious baby --  when my first was born it was issued at the hospital as part of a care package for new mothers and I have to say it worked quite well and seems to have had no lingering after effects on Ethan.

But I look forward to becoming up-to-date in child care. 


Meanwhile, I've been making room in one of my dresser drawers for a whole slew of infant clothes and products that Claui brought up for me to have on hand. Onesies and diapers and bibs and butt paste, oh my!


I can hardly wait!


10 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

You're brave! Childcare is exhausting (perhaps not so much when the baby is tiny if you don't have to care for them overnight). Nevertheless it is a joy and a pleasure to share in their little lives and grandparents can be such a source of stability and, ultimately, good memories for the child. Good wishes for the remaining months of waiting.

NCmountainwoman said...

Going to class rather than telling them "this is how I always did it." Definitely puts you in the category of five-star Grammy (and mother-in-law). What fun awaits!

Susan said...

Your grandchild picked her family well! You and John will enrich her life..........and vice-versa!

Misty Barnes said...

I can hardly wait to read of your adventures with that sweet baby!

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay for you, Grandma with all those skills...I bet you'll be reading her stories from the first! And taking photos, whenever you can put her down. What a great adventure you're about to slide into. Your daughter-in-law will be doing all the work (birth!) at first...then everyone else gets their share!

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

Dorcus and I are very happy for you. We regret we don't live close enough to our grandchildren to care for them. But we do enjoy the brief time we do get with them.

Unknown said...

And I'll be knitting something special for that precious granddaughter. Haven't decided what but it will be practical and easy to clean:)

Darla said...

Congratulations and…kudos for wanting to provide day care! :)

Anvilcloud said...

Caring for the youngins can be both difficult and rewarding.

JAPW said...

Congratulations!! Skills in childcare come back quickly. Just a matter of energy. Just had the two older grandchildren over for "sleepover". Ages 4 and 7. Great fun!! Picked up 4yo and 15mo old from daycare yesterday. The little one moves fast and intermittently wants to be picked up, at 30 lbs, the challenge. Best to you, looks like you have all the wares and I know the skills and love. Joanne