Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sunrise and Beef Piquant

It was an ominous pre-dawn sky yesterday morning -- suitable for the day I'd marked down to get our tax information together.
We're approaching the equinox -- the sun's almost in the middle of our due east view.
But that's not what I'm here to blog about. I want to tell you about a recipe that has stood the test of time. 

It's from The Gasparilla Cookbook -- produced by the Tampa Junior League back in 1961 and still in print.  It's the food of my childhood -- Southern, Spanish, Cuban, Italian, Greek. 

I got my first copy in 1962, the year before we got married, and it was my go-to cook book for a very long time. I wore that first copy out and got a replacement in '89 -- it's fairly stained and battered now. And the thing is, all these years later and the recipes are still terrific.
 
Bef Piquant is a good thing to do with a cheap cut of meat -- add in the potatoes and carrots and you've got a meal.  I also served some buttered broccoli and a salad.
After this was well underway, I realized, with something of a shock, there's no garlic in it. Another time, I may add a bit but honestly, it's awfully good just this way. 

The smell filled  the house for hours and when it was time to eat, I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished product. Oh, my, it was good.  The meat falls off the bone and is a big mouthful of flavor. 

Try it -- you'll see.



 Beef Piquant - in preparation


2 to 3 pounds chuck or round steak, at least 2 inches thick
1 lemon
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3 generous dashes Tabasco sauce ( I used quite a lot (2 tablespoons, maybe) of Sriracha hot sauce instead for more heat)
2 medium onions, sliced and sauteed in 2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon capers
Optional -- potatoes and carrots

Place steak in center of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil  in a shallow pan. Rub both sides of steak with cut lemon. Spread both sides of steak with mustard.  Place under broiler and brown both sides. Remove from oven, salt and pepper, squeeze lemon juice over the steak. Sprinkle with Worcestershire, brown sugar, and Tabasco. Add capers and onions, which have been sauteed. You can add in  potatoes and carrots, if desired. Bring foil up to seal in an airtight package. Bake at 300 for 3 hours.
Posted by Picasa

23 comments:

Victoria said...

Oh, my husband will love this! I'm embarrassed to admit it because I'm a vegetarian, but the pictures made my mouth water!

Elora said...

Sounds like a great recipe for an upcoming busy day, when, at suppertime, you can unwrap a wonderful meal in spite of having been "on a tear" all day! Love recipes like this!

Elora

Brian Miller said...

nice there are some good flavors in this roast recipe...just tossed it over to T to give it a try...

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Don't you just love your old cookbooks? I certainly do. Like you I've had to replace some of them that, after many years of service, have fallen apart. A stained page in an old cookbook is a sign that this is a good recipe.

Beef Piquant sounds very intriguing with the mustard, brown sugar, hot sauce and capers. I can certainly understand why it's a go-to recipe.
Sam

Brenda said...

Oh, what do I love most about this post? The spectacular sunrise photos? That great old vintage cookbook? Or the fact that you've shared a recipe that looks both delicious and easy? Thanks!!

Kath said...

Drooling on the keyboard!
Love the balance of wonderful food and unappetizing taxes!

Darla said...

I am always totally fascinated by those who COOK. :-) I've come to it late in life and, while I enjoy it more than I used to, preparing anything more than a simple rice+steamed veggies dish remains pretty low on my priority list. :-) Conversely, I adore all kinds of foods from all over the world and my taste buds relish almost anything (thanks to my mom being one of those who is an awesome cook!). I remember from childhood a dish very similar to what you describe, Vicki... :-)

Deanna said...

Oh how I love good food! I will give this one a try.

Beautiful photos of your mountain sunrise.

Christine said...

That looks so good! It's making me hungry again and I just finished breakfast. Definitely going to try this one. I love to eat in Ybor City there in Tampa; food is always to die for.

Louise said...

Mmmmmm, that sounds good. And, easy, too, which is a definite benefit for a lazy cook like me.

Merisi said...

My eyes did the cooking (presto!) and I gobbled it all up in one fell swoop. *kidding*

NCmountainwoman said...

It's hard to believe the sun actually came up this morning anywhere in the mountains. We've had pouring rain since the middle of the night.

I love Junior League cookbooks and buy them every time I find them. They are always chock full of good recipes and this one looks great for a rainy day.

Vicki Lane said...

The sunrise was Tuesday morning -- I get confused because I write my posts the day before. But I've fixed that now.

As much as I enjoy eating, I can hardly imagine not cooking. It another art form, in my opinion -- another outlet for creativity. That said, I'm happy for opportunities not to cook -- John's pizza night is much appreciated.

Mamabug -- this cookbook has lots of Ybor City recipes -- as I said, the food of my childhood.

(Ybor City is/was the Latin Quarter of Tampa. Maybe I'll talk about it another day.

Tipper said...

Yum-I think my whole bunch would like it.

Unknown said...

Oh you have my mouth watering. I think I've had my fill of summer salads. I'm thinking this looks perfect as our weather cools. Thank you Vicki.

BB said...

Sounds delicious and I can just imagine how good it must taste!

Margaret said...

Right up my alley! Thank you.

Vicki Lane said...

And the leftovers made a great soup fpr a rainy day -- combined with some cooked kale and canellini beans.

Nicole@Rare Bird said...

This is one of my favorite cookbooks. I found this gem at a garage sale and it is one of my most treasured, so I am excited to see someone else enjoying it as well! Thank you for the lovely recipe and photos. Yum!

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm making this. :P

Barbara Rogers said...

Another former Tampanian, eh? I have seen that cookbook, and sure know about those Gasparilla pirates! The "Krewes" from them invade Tampa every Feb. for a parade a la Mardi Gras. And the food of Ybor City is simply fantastic any time of year! Thanks for posting the recipe, Vicki. Can't wait to try it.

comic said...

It's very good..

maría cecilia said...

Dear Vicki, this is a great a easy meal to prepare, even for me that hate cooking.
Love seeing how your sourrindings look these day, lovely and wonderful nature where you live my dear.
hugs