Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Every Day, It's A-Getting Closer. . .



So, those crossed out numbers are the chapters I've read to myself and tidied up where necessary.  40, 47, and 48 are not yet completed, awaiting the trip to the Asheville Library. E is the (brief) Epilogue which may have a bit added after my research trip.


This little notebook is full of questions and answers -- some not exactly legible. As I neared the end of the book, I had to remind myself of children's names and ages and whether various ones called their parents Pap or Daddy or Papa and Mommy or Mama or Mam.


I still have things to find out and today I'm off to the Marshall library to find out what stores were in Marshall in 1861 and was there an undertaker. And what churches were in Shelton Laurel during the Civil War.

Tomorrow, if nothing don't happen, it's off to the Pack for a look at Col. Allen's pamphlet. Then to finish those three chapters!

If things go well, I will send this novel off to my agent next week and breathe a huge sigh of relief.



12 comments:

Ms. A said...

Hope nothing slips loose and comes unglued and you can get it sent off!

Anvilcloud said...

As long as you can read your notes ... :)

Lise said...

Exciting! I hope you'll keep us apprised of how things evolve once your agent has it. That process is intriguing. Fingers crossed the library visit produces answers :)

daybreak said...

In addition to admiring your strength, fortitude and talent as a writer, I was thrilled to see that you use the old, tried and true paper and pen or pencil equipment! The computer keyboard can accomplish a lot, but the feel of the originals is so satisfying!

Misty Barnes said...

How exciting! I can't wait to read it!
Misty

Gwen said...

After your post the other day, I went on line and looked up the Shelton Laurel Massacre on Wikipedia. As a former history teacher I don't trust a lot of what's on there as factually correct or free of bias. I prefer primary sources when possible. However, from "Wiki" said, you seem to have been immersed in a pretty dark place for the last couple of months. I imagine the garden is a welcome return to the present!

Vicki Lane said...

In this case, Gwen, the primary sources aren't especially trustworthy either, drat it! Even the census records.

Juliet said...

I remember that last stage in a writing project, and how much detail has to be attended to. It's 3 years since my last book was published, & I don't miss that part of it. I hope it all goes smoothly & you can soon breathe a big sigh of relief.

Jime said...

I have no doubt that your blend of pure story telling and sincere attempt at weaving the story with as much truth as you can find will result in a fine book. It is an honor to know you Vicki.

katy gilmore said...

Wow. Simply wow!

Gwen said...

Sometimes, Vicki, I think they picked the person with the worst penmanship in the county to record the census! (or the person with the worst hearing.)

Carol Crump Bryner said...

It's been so much fun, and also so inspiring, to follow the progress of your novel. Good luck on the final stretch! Do you find yourself having kind of a letdown when you're finished with a big project? To me, that's the only downside of completion. Looking forward to reading your book!