Friday, July 29, 2016

Pesto Time


Fortunately the deer don't seem to like basil so I had a gracious plenty to harvest and turn into pesto.


4 cups basil leaves (tight packed- you can substitute Italian parsley for one of those cups)
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (not the unrefrigerated sort)
1/2 cup pine nuts or almonds or hulled sunflower seeds)
4-6 large cloves of garlic, peeled.

Whir in food processor or blender. Pack into half pint jars.  This recipe makes 2 1/2 to 3 half pints, depending on how tight you packed those leaves.

This stuff freezes exceptionally well. Two or three years and it's still good. Keeps well in the refrigerator too - weeks, maybe months, but not years.


10 comments:

Ms. A said...

My (grown) kids would go for that!

KarenB said...

We think it tastes even better after being frozen - it mellows the flavor a bit. And it last several weeks in the fridge, but not months. Or maybe that's because we put in the cheese when we make it?

dleisert said...

Love basil pesto! And I always have enough to freeze a couple jars.

Frances said...

Thank you for this delicious inspiration and guidance, Vicki.

I do envy you that basil bounty!

Happy weekend to you. xo

Stella Jones said...

That looks delicious Vicki. I'm going to use your recipe soon. I will have to buy the basil etc. because I don't grow that. It prefers sunnier places I think, but I always enjoy the smell when I walk past it in Sainsburys.

NCmountainwoman said...

Our basil has really taken off this summer. So I'm going to make and freeze some pesto as well. We usually don't have enough left but this has been a banner year.

Martin said...

Looks wonderful. I actually think I'm getting the aroma, all this way away.

Anonymous said...

We grow a little basil and plan to use a recipe much like yours to turn it into pesto. One way we like to freeze it is to put it in ice cube trays, which are then placed into refrigerator bags. Usually two cubes or three are enough for a meal for the two of us. It's a taste of the summer in the middle of winter!
We have some dear friends who put pesto on almost everything they eat! Yum!

Deana the queena

Brian Miller said...

ah i did not know you could freeze pesto - i think i thought it would screw up the taste. i do like a little with my bread. ha.

Jime said...

STOP IT!!! You are making me hungry.