Friday, March 8, 2024

Signs in the Blood Revisited

                                                                                     


I wrote SIGNS, my first published novel, over twenty years ago. It came out in 2005. I was thrilled, as a rank amateur, to be published by Bantam Dell, a divission of Random House--one of the biggies. It was the beginning of a wild rollercoaster ride and five more Elizabeth Goodweather books. 

A few days ago I began rereading this, my first-born. I was delighted to discover that it was better than I remembered. More than that, it captures so much of my life twenty years ago--the farm, the garden, the dogs . . .

But I had to laugh when I realized that in this book, Miss Birdie is 81--as am I.

I was in my early sixties when I wrote this book and, originally, so was Elizabeth, But I dropped her age back to 52, hoping to give her a bit more zing in her possible romantic life. As for Miss Birdie, 81 seemed incredibly ancient. 

And now, here I am. I've had people address me as Miss Vicki and, while I try to be gracious, I really dislike it. I named Miss Birdie after an old (!) woman I once met, never thinking that someday I too . . .

Life is weird, the longer it goes on.

                                                                                      


5 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

I recently reread my first published book and was proud that I wrote it. It's a good feeling, isn't it, to look back and appreciate what you've put out into the world? Someday Josie will read your books, Vicki, and be bowled over by her Meema's talent and perception.

Vicki Lane said...

A good feeling, indeed. And also weird how much I'd forgotten. It was as if someone else, who knew me very well, had written the book. Now I need to re-read Heat of the Moon.

Marcia said...

It was a good book! I have read the first three in the series and should look for the other two.

Barbara Rogers said...

My copies are well worn, as I've read them several times since originally finding them - an author right here in North Carolina, a woman, someone who also moved from Florida to the mountains, and a mystery writer! I couldn't be more thrilled that I've met you in person also! You are definitely a star with feet of clay...meaning an earth mother, I think. Thank you so much for bringing Miss Birdie to life...who you don't resemble much actually!

Anvilcloud said...

Those were fun reads. Good job by you.