Monday, March 4, 2024

Second Thoughts

                                                                             


A photo of an undisciplined dog--that's why I took the picture.  But when I looked at it, I had some second thoughts. Second thoughts about the book in the picture.

I started re-reading Michener's The Source--for the who-knows how many-eth time--and a third of the way through, I began to find it unusually heavy going.

It's Michener's take on the land that would become Israel, and the many peoples that have lived and fought and died there.

But . . . but, it's difficult for me to read of the heroic and troubled past when the terrible present is in the news daily.

The attack by Hamas was horrendous; the response by Israel is looking more and more like genocide. 

May this god-troubled land find peace somehow.

Meanwhile, I'm going to have to find something else to read.


4 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

The news is hard to watch or read these days. And I'm tired of being called an antisemite because I want the killing in Gaza to stop.

Barbara Rogers said...

I just heard from her father, that my college student granddaughter in DC took part in a pro-Palestinian demonstration this weekend. I never thought we'd have to decide here in America which to support, Israel or Palestine. Gaza is such a sad awful place/event that has pulled us into yearning for the war to end. I've contributed to efforts to help Gaza families escape, or at least get fed. It's the least I can do.

Anvilcloud said...

It was probably best to move on from that book.

Marcia said...

Two troubled peoples, unable to move forward and let go of the past. When will it end?