Thursday, March 14, 2024

Re-Watching--a Mini Steve Martinfest

                                                                                

As well as re-reading favorite books, I like to re-watch certain films--all of Monty Python (Life of Brian, The Holy Grail, The Meaning of Life,) most of the Coen Brothers, especially Raising Arizona, Fargo, and O Brother, Where Art Thou.

When Justin was home sick for much of second grade, The Empire Strikes Back and The Everlasting Story were on constant replay. The Pirates of Penzance, was another popular favorite.

Recently I developed a longing to see two Steve Martin movies that I remembered fondly--and, lo and behold, my wish was granted.

L.A. Story is great fun, especially with Sara Jessica Parker's great energetic turn as SaNDee* who loves to twirl.  And Patrick Stewart, in a brief appearance as the supercilious maitre d' of L'Idiot ("You think you can 'ave ze duck? With a portfolio like zat? You can have ze chicken") is memorable.

Even better is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Martin is at his comic best, Michael Caine is wonderful, and the plot, involving the two as con men in competition is hilarious. 

Two evening of laugh out loud pleasure. . . better than a trip to a spa.

What do you watch for light entertainment?

                                                


6 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

I have always loved Steve Martin. There's no one else like him.

Barbara Rogers said...

Steve Martin is a howl. I just enjoyed "Notinghill" again which had some silly moments indeed.

Cella said...

Reruns of Jonathan Winters on youtube.

Cella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JJM said...

Much depends on what mood or trying circumstance I am trying to distance myself from, of course, but for a sheer sense of determination it's hard to beat Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. For lightening my mood, I often turn to movie classics like Some Like it Hot or the old Ealing comedies, e.g. The Maggie, Passport to Pimlico (with the indomitable and inimitable Margaret Rutherford), or Tight Little Island. But if what I need is a laugh-'til-you-cry movie, it's going to be Noises Off. Most comedies grow less funny (even if no less dear) upon repetition, but not Noises Off. By the end, it will always leave me with tears running down my cheeks, my sides aching, and myself totally breathless, from laughing so hard.

(Note: the above are far from the only movies I could mention. They're just the first ones that popped up in my mind. I could mention Disney's Alice in Wonderland with its wonderfully surreal Tulgey Wood, or Return to Oz, or A Hard Day's Night, or ... )

Anvilcloud said...

There are certain tv series that we return to: Inspector Morse, for example.