Monday, July 3, 2023

My Kind of Fireworks


Once I enjoyed fireworks. The explosion of color against a dark sky, the changing patterns, the inevitable ooooh of the watchers.

But ever since I watched dogs cowering in fear at the sound, and as I became more aware of the negative effects fireworks have on other critters--wildlife, folks with PTSD--not to mention the possibilty of wildfires--the pleasure is gone.


Bailey, in particular is freaked by thunder and lightning. We'll be keeping her close during this long weekend.

I guess it's a consequence of being 'woke'--empathetic to the fears and needs of others. Does that make me un-American?


 

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

My inlaws used to drive their dogs to the cottage for Canada Day to escape the noise. Still, it's a photographic event for me that only occurs for 15-20 minutes once a year. Or maybe twice, depending. So, I shove the implication aside and try to get the photos because they ae going to happen with or without me.

Barbara Rogers said...

Being American seems to have two definitions these days. I do prefer the traditional one rather than the MAGA one! Enjoy your quiet.

Sandra Parshall said...

That makes you a loving, thoughtful person. I can't forgive people who leave their fearful pets alone while they go out to enjoy fireworks displays.

Marcia said...

In answer to your question: no it doesn't.