Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Josie's Experiment in Transpiration


We are dyeing Queen Anne's Lace! (This is an experiment Meema and my grownup cousins Amelia and Genie used to do a long time ago when they were little girls and came and stayed for a while in the summer. It was called Camp NoFun and this is one of the things they did.)

We put food coloring in water. I thought we were going to dip the flowers in the color, but Meema said we would let the flowers do all the work.


The flowers will suck up the colored water through their stems, like a straw. It is called TRANSPIRATION.


It does not happen right away. 


You have to be patient.


While I was being patient, the Castle People had a concert. Carmen is on the stage singing. The backup singers behind her are Elsa and Sunflower.


I also practiced with my hula hoop. It is not easy to keep it going.


                                  The blue is working!!!



This was supposed to be red but that's okay because pink is my favorite color.


When Daddy came to get me, he was amazed. He asked me if I used a tiny brush to paint all the tiny flowers. (A Queen Anne's Lace flower is really a whole bunch of very little flowers.)

That would have been very hard. I am glad we let the flowers do the work, even if we had to be patient.



 

5 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What a fun project for a little chemist herself! Good to hear from you Josie!

Sandra Parshall said...

What a delightful project for her, mixing fun and education.

Anvilcloud said...

I like that experiment. I have been given to understand that hydrangeas take their colour, at least partly, form the environment. But I don't claim to know this. 😊

jennyfreckles said...

What a good experiment. Life being Josie is full of wonder and fun.

Anonymous said...

We did the same with gladiolas. Such fun to watch. Glads color a little differently, but beautiful.