Sunday, January 22, 2017

To You Who Walked in Beauty




This Navajo blessing is for all my friends and sisters around the country and around the world who marched yesterday in support of equality and in opposition to the new regime in Washington. What a day it was! Cities and towns and villages  showed up --DC, NYC, Boston, Asheville, Black Mountain, Charlotte, Raleigh, Burnville, LA, Auckland,NZ, Vienna, Austria, Shipley, UK . . . to name a few. I wish I could have been there in body but my heart was with you all.

Today I will walk out, today everything unnecessary will leave me,
I will be as I was before, I will have a cool breeze over my body.
I will have a light body, I will be happy forever,  nothing will hinder me. 
I walk with beauty before me. I walk with beauty behind me.
I walk with beauty below me. I walk with beauty above me
I walk with beauty around me. My words will be beautiful.

In beauty all day long may I walk. 
Through the returning seasons, may I walk. 
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.  
With dew about my feet, may I walk. 

With beauty before me may I walk. 
With beauty behind me may I walk. 
With beauty below me may I walk.
With beauty above me may I walk.
With beauty all around me may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively may I walk. 
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk. 
My words will be beautiful.


8 comments:

Thérèse said...

Such a wonderful message!
Such a comforting March yesterday.

NCmountainwoman said...

Perfect post for today. So many of us marched in spirit. What a wonderful sense of courage and unity.

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

May this movement be more successful and have more staying power than the Occupy movement.

Bernie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darla said...

Thank you for this inspiring Navajo blessing…much needed and appreciated. And I adore the photo at the end. ;)

Carolyn said...

Love this! Wonderful to see the numbers marching. I, too, was there in spirit.

Frances said...

Thank you, Vicki, for posting this beautiful Navajo blessing. Its words are rich, flow naturally, and offer strength and comfort.

I did participate in yesterday's NYC, motivated by the inaugural speech.

Over on my blog site I have a post about yesterday. On Instagram, I have a short video, and another photo. My blog post has a link to my IG page, and also a link to wikipedia's entry about the Grand Hyatt Hotel (on yesterday's march route) and how the hotel figures in the new President's early history.

xo

Jime said...

The Navajo people are a matriarchal society. Now we can understand their desire to walk in beauty. When men finally wake up and look for beauty in the world around them, then we will mature as a species. If we don't then death and destruction will continue to be our plight.