Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cream of Spring


 We had asparagus and spinach  in the garden, as well as a gracious plenty of garlic chives. And over where the mushroom logs are, there were some nice shitakes.  Plus I had some really tasty broth in the freezer that I'd made by simmering the woody ends of the asparagus we'd feasted on earlier  in the week with onion, garlic, and the carcass of a roast chicken, also from earlier.

First I sauteed a chopped onion in about four tablespoons of butter then stirred in the chopped mushrooms and asparagus.  When the onion was translucent, I sprinkled in about a tablespoon of flour and stirred till it was blended in.

 In another pot, I heated the broth (two cans of chicken broth would work almost as well) and stirred in the chopped garlic chives and spinach. When the spinach began to wilt, I strained most of the hot broth into the vegetable/flour mixture in the other pot and stirred to blend.

The remaining spinach and chives went into the food processor to make a bright green puree -- which then got stirred into the mix in the other pot.

The soup was quite good at this point but a tad too salty for my taste -- I'd been heavy handed with the salt when I made the broth.  So I stirred in some of Silverbell's lovely thick cream. Yoghurt or milk would have worked too. 
  
Accompanied by a quesadilla (Muenster cheese on corn tortilla,) the soup made a nice spring lunch.
 
(I wish I'd taken time to get a better shot of the final product here, but it's kind of a sin to keep hot food waiting...)
 
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Ms. A said...

I couldn't do asparagus, or mushrooms, but the rest sounds great!

Thérèse said...

Miam Miam!

Jules said...

How beautiful. Tomorrow I make my pumpkin and tomato soup to pop in the freezer for Sunday nights through winter!!!!!! Soups and broths are wonderfully easy and tasty meals!!

Brian Miller said...

yum....this sounds fresh and delicious...

Kath said...

YUM!

Friko said...

You live the life many people dream of. Make the most of it, as I know you do. Your broth is gorgeous, mine would lack the cream or milk, sadly. No matter how much I kid myself, soya or coconut milk just aren't the same.

Folkways Note Book said...

Oh that certainly looks delicious -- and healthy besides -- barbara

Vicki Lane said...

We love soups of all sorts -- I'll have to try your pumpkin and tomato soup , Jules, when our autumn rolls round,

I do know how very lucky I am, Friko, (even if I don't have a gardener and a castle in the back yard like some people. ;-))

Merisi said...

A veritable feast of spring's finest!

Anonymous said...

Also---thanks for the tip that cream decreases saltiness---is that just because the volume is increased? I've heard that potatoes decrease saltiness, but, of course, that wouldn't be appropriate here. I've tried that in vegetable beef soup, and it seemed to work.

Deana the queena

Carol Murdock said...

From the garden to the stove top to the table!It's a wonderful life! XO

Polly Iyer said...

Sounds delish, Vicki. I love soup. Any kind. And I make a lot of it. Now I'm hungry.