Friday, September 11, 2026

Remembering . . .


. . . that awful day . . . and all that followed . . .
the selfless actions of many, the feeling of a nation coming together in mourning and resolve . . .

and then . . . the Islamophobia acted out by a few and, alas, seized on by some politicians for their own selfish ends. 

 A sad legacy on this day of solemn remembrance.

 

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I remember where I was when I learned of the event — in a dental office in another town from where we lived.

Sandra Parshall said...

It was very close and real to everyone living here in the immediate DC area. It took months for people to believe it wasn't going to happen again any day. People talked about moving farther away from Washington. Many were terrified of flying. We are surrounded by neighbors who work for the federal government. We saw them returning home that morning, one by one -- except for the man who worked at the Pentagon, who was out of touch and only came home late in the day. A prolonged limbo, with fighter jets circling overhead.

Marcia said...

I was in my 4th grade classroom. Students were being called to the office beause their parents came to take them home. Other students wanted to know what was going on. At a break I learned and watched with horror. I remember driving to work for weeks afterward and hearing the news coverage and crying.
Yes, I remember and hope we never have to go through that again yet as a nation we are doing the same thing to Iran. When will this all end?

JJM said...

Staring through the glass wall in the National Air & Space Museum as the smoke rose over the Pentagon in the distance ...

DC below us becoming a ghost city -- that eerie quiet ...

People in the Metro, stunned into isolating silence ...

Over and over and over on our tv screens at home the Towers fell, and fell, and fell again, deep into the night.