Thursday, October 10, 2024

What's in a Name?


     I finished and put in the mail the second batch of a hundred postcards, urging registered moms to vote. These are aimed at women who, though registered, often don't vote. My first batch of cards went mainly to Arizona and the names were, predictably, often Latina.   

The second hundred went to New Jersey and the names were AMAZING! I kinda couldn't wait to turn over the next card on the stack and see who it was I was writing to. It has come to feel quite personal, and I really think about the woman I'm writing to, trying to imagine her life. 

Big love to all of them: Marias, Marys, Maries, and Elizabeths. Susans and Lisas and Jinel, Anubharatha, Jahaira, Yugene, Atusca, Hahnsiany, Judeeanne, Antanisha, Hanania, Saima, Yuderka, Vipreet, Tangela, Hiensook, Hemali, and Nelly--among many others!

Such a beautiful mixed bouquet of Americans! In diversity is our strength.

I just received an email from Moms Rising. There are more than 71,043 postcard volunteers facilitating about 5 million postcards to infrequent voters.

Hoping this helps bring a positive outcome in November!                                                                    

 

No comments: