Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Copper Beech


For several months I was mildly obsessed with what seemed to be a large dark tree in a meadow across the river.  Even from a good distance (a mile or more,) it just didn't look like our native species. I know who owns the property but didn't feel up to calling and inquiring about the large dark tree. How creepy to think a neighbor is keeping an eye on one's vegetation.



The picture with the blue arrow pointing to the mystery tree is an early attempt with my little camera, which doesn't have the range of the new Sony. (The dark blob is visible to the inquiring eye in the first picture but you'd have to embiggen and know where to look. )


Imagine my delight when a Facebook friend who lives on that property across the river posted a picture of a magnificent Copper Beech on the edge of a meadow. I asked her at once if that was on Grill Hill (the name of the meadow) and she said it was. 

So now I know. It's quite satisfying to feel a connection with a tree in our faraway view. 

I'll be keeping an eye on it.


2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

It does stand out.

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah ha! Good way to discover answers...waiting, buying new cameras, waiting, talking to neighbors. Cunning, she is.