Monday, November 4, 2019

It's All Just Stuff

Photo Claui Skemp
Our big barn was completely destroyed early Sunday morning. Once a tobacco barn, it was converted years ago to John's wood-working shop. It was also the site of the Easter Party.

The good news is that friends, here helping Justin work on his house, who were staying in the barn got out safely.  And that the wonderful crews of the Walnut and Big Pine Volunteer Fire Departments were able to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby buildings or to the woods. And that we have insurance.



As we watched, we thought of California and the real devastation there . . .
The fire may have started with the wood stove, which was in use. The shop was full of flammable stuff -- propane tanks, varnishes and solvents, lumber, etc.,etc. etc. so the fire took hold quickly

Thank goodness our friends awakened in time and were able to escape out a back door



Morning came and we were thankful the fire had remained contained. It's likely to smolder for several days, the VFD guys said. 
We are all a little numb, but after viewing the remains this morning, the guys went back to work on fitting new windows in Justin and Claui's house. 


I mean, what better way to move forward?


Besides, it's all just stuff.

15 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Everyone is taking it well, but it was still pretty traumatic I would think.

jennyfreckles said...

Oh my goodness, what drama! That must have been really frightening, wondering if the fire would spread. Thank goodness your friends got out unscathed. As you say, on one level it's just 'stuff' but a sad loss nevertheless.

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

So sorry about the barn. I remember it well. Jim

Barbara Rogers said...

You are right...all just stuff. But a sudden awakening also...and a traumatic experience for you all. I'm sorry you lost the barn where you've had such fun parties...but created the great memories you've shared here. Yes, it does remind me of the terrible fires now in CA. Glad all were safe!

Sandra Parshall said...

Terrifying to have this happen at night. I’m so glad everyone is safe.

dannie said...

I can't imagine the shock but I am so grateful that no one was hurt and they were able to contain the fire.

NCmountainwoman said...

It is so painful to lose such a fine place, filled with happy times over the years. It is wonderful that the fire didn't happen when it was so dry and windy. A blessing that no one was physically injured. Great attitude to move forward right away. Hope John will still get a workshop. I know you will all hold special memories and you have your pictures to remind you of those good times in the barn.

Mom C. said...

So sorry. My mom used to say a fire was like a death. She also used to say,”From the time you are born til you ride in a hearse, there’s nothing so bad that it couldn’t be worse.” She’s right as always, but i wish it hadn’t happened in your world.

ArnnKnight said...

Vicki--so very, very sorry! How frightening for you all. Isn't it amazing we live in an area so filled with people who jump right in to help when there is a need?

Janet Morrison said...

I'm so sorry about the fire but glad no one was hurt.

Patricia Wallin (Trish) said...

So sorry Vicki.
Glad everyone is ok.

Thérèse said...

Oh! So so sorry for all of you: family and friends. I was feeling almost part of the family when viewing your pictures describing your so vivid reunions. I don't know what to say except that I am sending strong thoughts towards you.

Nan Emanuel said...

Oh Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear about your scary and worry-filled experience. But, as you so reasonably pointed out, the actual loss was "just stuff". Having averted the loss of life and limb of Justin's friends, I'd say that it was fortunate that all the stars and planets were aligned to allow for the most minimal of possible damage. I do hope none of your beautiful quilts were stored in the barn. I'll miss your Easter pics of the decorated building, fabulous quilts adorning the railings overhead...

Just thankful that everyone is okay. I hope Josie was not traumatized too much by such a scary event happening so close to her family home. Scary stuff for such a little one.

If you have a "barn raising" in the future, do let us know. Jay and I will be there with bells on, hammers in hand and the love of helping others in our hearts.

katy gilmore said...

All your friends above have said it all - and I know it's just stuff, but scary nonetheless. I was glad to see the new windows going in - and hope John gets a new workshop. I know that quote above rhyming hearse and worse is so true - so it it's always something. And this something has the important element - everybody ok! xo

Juliet said...

How devastating to lose your beautiful barn. You have such a good perspective on this loss. I hope the new barn will be wonderful and bring in more memories.