Monday, November 25, 2019

An Ideal Nursery


I always loved the descriptions of nurseries in certain English books-- Mary Poppins, for example. The ideal nursery was a large, light-filled room, full of children's toys (a dappled grey rocking horse was a must) and special children's furniture. There might or might not be a crisp-starched nanny in attendance.


Alas, my boys were lucky to have a crib in our bedroom -- later, of course, they shared a bedroom filled with action figures and dinosaurs. 


I admit to severe envy of pregnant friends with an extra room as they set up their little nurseries, decided on color schemes, and installed cribs and changing tables and a rocking chair. But that passed and our boys turned out well, despite the lack of a nursery.


A few days ago, as I sat on my bed and watched Josie at play in the bedroom, I realized that at long last, I have a nursery -- lots of light, kid-sized furniture . . .


There's even a rocking horse.





2 comments:

NCmountainwoman said...

We never had a nursery either. My husband was studying for medical boards so our baby son was shuttled to the study at night and into our bedroom during the day. Violet has a lovely nursery,themed around books. Prints of favorite illustrations are framed in the walls. And one side of the room is wall-to-wall bookshelves. It's a large corner room with lots of light.

Barbara Rogers said...

Goodness, we welcome our kids into our lives, not the ones in books. And when there were a dozen in a little house with maybe 2 bedrooms, there sure weren't any nurseries! I think the rather affluent folks might have had nannies and nurseries, and the rest of us wondered how to wait for one bathroom with all those kids!