Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The One-Foot Waterfall Garden

 
I began this post sure that I remembered a haiku to the effect that a one-foot waterfall, though small, gave a pleasing sound and cooled the night air. I even think I used it here some time ago, with a picture of a one-foot waterfall. But I can't find it (I haven't been consistent with tags) and Mr. Google just throws up his hands and shows me pictures of Hawaiian waterfalls.

What I'm getting at though, is the realization that my minuscule garden in pots is giving me a lot of pleasure -- along with some lettuce and tomatoes, as well as various herbs that contribute to fine morning scrambled eggs.


I have also several pots with artichokes -- which I will soon put in the ground because, if they live, they get rather large. I mainly plant them hoping they will bloom -- the big purple thistle is a gorgeous sight.


Eggplant destined for a pasta sauce soon . . .


In the greenhouse, the resident fig is covered with green fruit.


Beneath it --Chinese Pink Celery -- the gift of a friend who had extras. I never heard of pink celery and couldn't resist.


A few radishes -- I had to do some thinning . . .


Bell peppers are growing in pots on the steps.


Like all the plants in pots, in the current heat they must be watered twice a day.


That's okay. In the cool of the morning and evening is the perfect time to enjoy my tiny garden. And the sound and sight of the showering water is almost like a one-foot waterfall.



5 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

I’m amazed you have so much in pots when you also have a big yard garden. Lots of work! But with great rewards.

Vicki Lane said...

No big garden this year -- due to the deer. Eight tomato plants -- which something is already eating the tops off of -- and some cucumbers are what we have not on the porch. I lament the big garden but remembering all the work and the ultimate heartbreak of seeing the deer and other critters get almost everything, I'm okay with what we're doing now. Another year, things may change.

Barbara Rogers said...

How great to have produce right on your porch. My cilantro has now bloomed, and soon will have seeds which are...you probably already know, coriander. So going from wonderful omelets that had Mexican flare to sometime soon having nice Indian curry flavors...all from the same plant!

Anvilcloud said...

We have neighbours who plant nice pots but don't water them, so we do.

Jime said...

We have several big cottonwood trees right outside our condo patio. When the wind blows the leaves shimmer and shake and is soothing to watch.