Thursday, July 4, 2019

NO, Just NO


I can't do it -- post pictures of flags and fireworks when I know that the individual who has hijacked our country is hijacking the Fourth,  throwing a celebration of himself in our nation's capitol today, complete with tanks and jets and VIPs (big donors) in reserved seats.   

Children snatched from parents, desperate asylum seekers held in disgraceful conditions, big business set free to pollute at will,  homeless vets, corporations reaping the benefits of their contributions in massive tax cuts, long time allies alienated, brutal dictators praised . . . are we great yet? 

Were we ever? But at least, for a long time, we as a nation seemed to be struggling toward equality for all, toward a responsible stewardship of the planet, toward a dream of peace . . .


All this progress has been trampled-- and the supporters of the madman at the helm don't care. They have their judges; they have a good economy, continued growth begun in the Obama era. Little things like human decency are brushed aside.

No flags. No fireworks. Just a great sadness at the direction our country has taken. And a fervent hope that it will change.



9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

The world hopes with you. What has happened is pitiful.

Sandra Parshall said...

This country has become a despicable place in the past two and a half years. You can bet all the trump worshippers will be celebrating today — celebrating the damage he has done, celebrating the imprisoned immigrants, celebrating the deaths of children in American concentration camps. Happy birthday, America.. The whole world hates you now.

KarenB said...

Amen

NCmountainwoman said...

I think POTUS and his minions are despicable and have done more damage to our country than anything in my memory. i'm surprised they don't want to take down the Statue of Liberty, given what it says about bringing in the homeless and tempest tossed. But I'm not going to let him ruin my Independence Day. I'm celebrating our country with the hope that someday it will be true to what it has been. And that the words on the base of our Statue in the harbor will once again ring true. And the hope that somehow we will once again realize we are citizens of the world and not an isolated entity. Admittedly our celebration is small but we've decorated the house as usual, we are flying the flag, and will have our hot dog dinner. There will be no television that might show us the demon even accidentally. It will be a day for relaxing and enjoying our incredible granddaughter who, like Josie is full of creative ideas and is so entertaining.

I hope your day is a good one in spite of the troubles our country is facing (and causing).

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

What has happened is heartbreaking. I share your hope but it will take a long time to repair all this damage.

Vicki Lane said...

Carolyn - So glad you'll be with the grandbaby -- reason enough to celebrate!

Cyranetta said...

Does this ever resonate with me! I may have disagreed with various politicians over the years, but I can never remember a time when I was appalled to the point of nausea day after day by the moral abomination at every level of this administration.

I kind of wish that the whole small army of Democratic primary candidates would postpone primary activities for a while and band together, along with their larger army of media followers, and make unannounced visits to the detention centers.

Please, please, let me not become numbed by the depravity.

Anonymous said...

I, on the other hand, won't let him take the fireworks away from me, and I'll sing some patriotic songs, too. We in Burnsville are having our fireworks this evening, July 6. I'll sing the songs while wearing my tee shirt that says "86 45, which means " Get rid of Trump!"
Deana the Queena

Vicki Lane said...

Go, Deana! Small town celebrations are the best!